Ephemera and whimsy
Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Joan » 3 years ago

Lullabelle wrote:
3 years ago
I am going to a&e tomorrow morning, might take a flask and sandwiches, a reading book.
Well, obviously 🤣

But, are you OK??
0 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 3 years ago

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
Well, obviously 🤣

But, are you OK??

I have a long history of issues with my ear and have regular checkups, over the weekend my ear decided to really go for it so this morning I called the booking centre at the hospital and was told I can only get an appointment by GP referral, rang GP, cannot speak to anyone until Thursday, cannot wait that long, the lady at the hospital advised a&e. It feels like an infection however it has been bleeding which isn't normal.
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 3 years ago

Lullabelle wrote:
3 years ago
I am going to a&e tomorrow morning, might take a flask and sandwiches, a reading book.
I did that once. I broke a metacarpal and went home to put my bike away and get a book before going to A&E.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Lullabelle wrote:
3 years ago
I have a long history of issues with my ear and have regular checkups, over the weekend my ear decided to really go for it so this morning I called the booking centre at the hospital and was told I can only get an appointment by GP referral, rang GP, cannot speak to anyone until Thursday, cannot wait that long, the lady at the hospital advised a&e. It feels like an infection however it has been bleeding which isn't normal.
Oh 😯 hope it's all fine 🤞
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 3 years ago

Lullabelle wrote:
3 years ago
Oh shit. All the best.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 3 years ago

Lullabelle wrote:
3 years ago
Ouch! I know how painful ear problems can be, I have a history of ear infection (a deviated septum causes eustachian tube dysfunction in my right ear) that can sometime come on quickly within a matter of hours. I've perforated the right ear drum numerous times. A number of times the ear has bled as well. That's always meant a trip via A&E to get high dose antibiotics.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

A dear, dear friend has just asked me to post on facebook that racism is wrong.

But I have gone further than that, because I think it also needs to be said that crushing a man to death because he is poor, black and might have stolen some cigarettes is also wrong.

That's it, the world is fixed. I can go back to what I was doing. What's for breakfast?
1 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 3 years ago

Hi all, thank you for your support. Got to a&e jyst after 8, passed through to te booking dept, app made at walk in centre, taxi picked me up, had appointment, taxi took me to work, here before 10 so all happened quickly. Prescription for ear drops to treat infection. The taxi driver waited for me, they aren't very busy and a fare is a fare so fair enough.
6 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I get rather exercised when people casually throw about the word "racist" about Australia...

..so in the interest of full disclosure, I just posted this on Facebook. Yup, I'm back on fb.
(A post just appeared in my feed complaining that "we" couldn't celebrate Anzac Day, but "they" could protest BLM. How did that penetrate my carefully constructed bubble? There was a comment describing it as "disgraceful". I want to share my reply, without promoting the original post.)

Agreed. White people who separate Australians into "us" vs "them" on the basis of skin colour are disgraceful, and this attitude plays a huge part in why indigenous Australians have more than double the infant mortality rate, represent 30% of the prison population despite being only 3% of the general population, and can expect to live 10 years less.

We should not compare a cri de coeur from desperate people to having to modify a celebration that has been repeated more than 100 times. Having to mark it differently makes it easier to reflect, rather than just repeat empty rituals that have become meaningless.

I love Anzac Day. This year, due to social distancing I memorialised it by standing at the local war memorial at dawn, and then cycling to the Anzac memorial at Hyde Park Corner, to think about my grandfather, and my great uncle Joseph and all the Australians who have fought for our county. But Anzac Day looks back on a time of the yellow peril, of the White Australia Policy, half a century before indigenous Australians became citizens. It would be easy for white nationals to claim and subvert this day. "We" cannot allow that.
0 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 3 years ago

5 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

ransos wrote:
3 years ago
I don't often cheer when listening to the 6 o'clock news, but sometimes......
2 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 3 years ago

I hope they leave him there, in his watery grave.
2 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 3 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
3 years ago
I hope they leave him there, in his watery grave.
It may have to be raised if, as I suspect, it impedes navigation. The Harbour Master was checking the depths this morning.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Related, from the guardian
Explaining the reason for the Grade II listing, Historic England says: “The statue is of particular historical interest, the subject being Edward Colston, Bristol’s most famous philanthropist, now also noted for his involvement in the slave trade.”

No. He was a slave trader who used some of his profit to whitewash his reputation by spending it locally. If Historic England doesn't see it that way, maybe we can find someone else to Grade buildings.

See also Martin Luther and Indulgences.
1 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 3 years ago

ransos wrote:
3 years ago
That is an impressive distance they achieved there.
0 x