Bollocks to Brexit

Not cycling, but still important.
User avatar
Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1369
Joined: 1 year ago
Location: Cambridge

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by Regulator » 1 week ago

Sonic Budgie wrote:
1 week ago
That's my hope, the ballot box epiphany.
This is in part why I'm taking polling with a large pinch of salt at the moment (in line with John Curtice). I think there's a sizeable number of people who will say one thing to pollsters or in 'the apparently increasingly relied up by the media' vox pops but who will vote differently in the privacy of the polling booth.
1 x

User avatar
Sonic Budgie
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 521
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by Sonic Budgie » 1 week ago

Greg wrote:
1 week ago
My fear is this...

1. Boris submits plan that he knows will fail.
2. Parliament votes through Benn Amendment
3. BREXIT gets delayed.
4. GE called / No confidence
5. Boris whips up a storm blaming the EU and Parliament
6. The Gammon become motivated.
7. Boris wins
Absolutely. The ERG are starting to line up behind the "deal" now, having said they would not support any deal, the thought process is transparent, take us into a GE having created enemies to blame from across the country and the continent. We could be about to get a government elected from a platform of total negativity and division. The thought is terrifying.
2 x

User avatar
Rutabaga
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 1155
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by Rutabaga » 1 week ago

Regulator wrote:
1 week ago
It's nothing to do with 'fake news' (you might want to dial down your inner Donald Trump) - it's a bit of a fun competition.
And you might want to dial down your personal jibes. The results might not be on a billboard but they are on the openly available internet thanks to people posting them just for the fun of it. For what it's worth, I have never seen the humour or satire in the work of fake-photo-stager Alison Jackson either, for the same reasons. Images are out there that some people somewhere will think are real, and I don't see that as a good thing. Or fun.
0 x

User avatar
Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1369
Joined: 1 year ago
Location: Cambridge

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by Regulator » 1 week ago

Sonic Budgie wrote:
1 week ago
Absolutely. The ERG are starting to line up behind the "deal" now, having said they would not support any deal, the thought process is transparent, take us into a GE having created enemies to blame from across the country and the continent. We could be about to get a government elected from a platform of total negativity and division. The thought is terrifying.
Although I note that Bernard Jenkin was very carefully trying to avoid saying that clearly on the Today programme this morning.
0 x

User avatar
Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1369
Joined: 1 year ago
Location: Cambridge

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by Regulator » 1 week ago

Rutabaga wrote:
1 week ago
And you might want to dial down your personal jibes. The results might not be on a billboard but they are on the openly available internet thanks to people posting them just for the fun of it. For what it's worth, I have never seen the humour or satire in the work of fake-photo-stager Alison Jackson either, for the same reasons. Images are out there that some people somewhere will think are real, and I don't see that as a good thing. Or fun.
Oh, do wind your neck in and stop being so precious.
0 x

User avatar
Rutabaga
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 1155
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by Rutabaga » 1 week ago

Regulator wrote:
1 week ago
Oh, do wind your neck in and stop being so precious.
You are being true to type. I don't take orders from you, thanks very much.
0 x

LowlifeDes
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 829
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by LowlifeDes » 1 week ago

Regulator wrote:
1 week ago
How does it do that? Have LBD actually put any of them up on a billboard?

This is also about taking the mickey out of the Government's campaign, using the Government's style, which is very different from asking people to use LBDs very recognisable billboard style to come up with 'fake' quotes.
Every one that gets out on social media is a hostage to fortune.
1 x

User avatar
Sonic Budgie
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 521
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by Sonic Budgie » 1 week ago

How frustrating, I've just posted a reply and it's disappeared. I'll do it again, I wouldn't want anyone to be disappointed.
0 x

User avatar
Sonic Budgie
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 521
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by Sonic Budgie » 1 week ago

Regulator wrote:
1 week ago
This is in part why I'm taking polling with a large pinch of salt at the moment (in line with John Curtice). I think there's a sizeable number of people who will say one thing to pollsters or in 'the apparently increasingly relied up by the media' vox pops but who will vote differently in the privacy of the polling booth.
I'm trying to take them with a pinch of salt because I honestly struggle to comprehend that that many people still believe in this project, that so many cannot see they are being played, or that they are being so blatantly lied to. If I didn't I'm not sure I would sleep at night.
3 x

User avatar
Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1369
Joined: 1 year ago
Location: Cambridge

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by Regulator » 1 week ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
1 week ago
Every one that gets out on social media is a hostage to fortune.
I think most sensible people will realise the difference between a mickey take of a Government campaign on social media and the real life billboard and projections of LBD...
0 x

User avatar
Sonic Budgie
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 521
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by Sonic Budgie » 1 week ago

Regulator wrote:
1 week ago
Although I note that Bernard Jenkin was very carefully trying to avoid saying that clearly on the Today programme this morning.
Steve Baker seems to be being a little less coy about it though.
0 x

User avatar
Rutabaga
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 1155
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by Rutabaga » 1 week ago

Regulator wrote:
1 week ago
I think most sensible people will realise the difference between a mickey take of a Government campaign on social media and the real life billboard and projections of LBD...
I used to think most sensible people would realise the benefits of remaining in the EU, but there you go.
2 x

LowlifeDes
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 829
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by LowlifeDes » 1 week ago

Regulator wrote:
1 week ago
I think most sensible people will realise the difference between a mickey take of a Government campaign on social media and the real life billboard and projections of LBD...
Voting is not confined to the sensible, thankfully.
1 x

User avatar
Sonic Budgie
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 521
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by Sonic Budgie » 1 week ago

Where the hell is everyone? This wasn't an unexpected statement, I thought Johnson would have his whole crew cheering and clapping behind him.
0 x

User avatar
Sonic Budgie
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 521
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by Sonic Budgie » 1 week ago

Regulator wrote:
1 week ago
Although I note that Bernard Jenkin was very carefully trying to avoid saying that clearly on the Today programme this morning.
They're lining up behind him in the Commons. Cash, Green and Francois have all been up so far. So predictable, so depressing.
0 x

Post Reply