UK politics

Not cycling, but still important.
User avatar
Greg
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 486
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: UK politics

Post by Greg » 1 week ago

I considered joining up in order to get a vote until I realised it wont make feck all difference.
0 x

User avatar
JohnToo
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 369
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: Leatherhead

Re: UK politics

Post by JohnToo » 1 week ago

Greg wrote:
1 week ago
I considered joining up in order to get a vote until I realised it wont make feck all difference.
...because you don't think your vote will make a difference to who the leader ends up being, or because you don't think that who the leader is will make any difference to the next few years of UK politics?
0 x

User avatar
Greg
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 486
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: UK politics

Post by Greg » 1 week ago

JohnToo wrote:
1 week ago
...because you don't think your vote will make a difference to who the leader ends up being, or because you don't think that who the leader is will make any difference to the next few years of UK politics?
The latter. Its very depressing.
1 x

Mister Paul
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 226
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: UK politics

Post by Mister Paul » 1 week ago

We have to start somewhere.

I like Jess Phillips but I don't know whether she's a very good local MP and lacking the skills to be party leader.

I think Kier Starmer may be the best option to try to start some change.
0 x

User avatar
Greg
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 486
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: UK politics

Post by Greg » 1 week ago

Mister Paul wrote:
1 week ago
We have to start somewhere.

I like Jess Phillips but I don't know whether she's a very good local MP and lacking the skills to be party leader.

I think Kier Starmer may be the best option to try to start some change.
The small part of me that still gives a toss, agrees.
0 x

User avatar
Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1534
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: Cambridge

Re: UK politics

Post by Regulator » 1 week ago

Mister Paul wrote:
1 week ago
We have to start somewhere.

I like Jess Phillips but I don't know whether she's a very good local MP and lacking the skills to be party leader.

I think Kier Starmer may be the best option to try to start some change.
Jess Phillips appears to be somewhat racist and transphobic...
0 x

User avatar
Joan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2326
Joined: 2 years ago

Re: UK politics

Post by Joan » 1 week ago

"Somewhat racist"? Sounds like an improvement on our current pm, at least.
1 x

Mister Paul
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 226
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: UK politics

Post by Mister Paul » 1 week ago

Regulator wrote:
1 week ago
Jess Phillips appears to be somewhat racist and transphobic...
Where's that? My boy did say to me yesterday that some of her old tweets were interesting, but I've not seen them.
0 x

User avatar
Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1534
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: Cambridge

Re: UK politics

Post by Regulator » 1 week ago

Mister Paul wrote:
1 week ago
Where's that? My boy did say to me yesterday that some of her old tweets were interesting, but I've not seen them.
She made sweeping generalisations about Pakistanis in her constituency and, when challenged, made a complaint against the person who challenged her. She's also taken digs at Diane Abbott and Dawn Butler...

She supports TERFs and groups like Womans Place.

I'm afraid the more I dig behind her media persona, the less likable she becomes.
0 x

User avatar
JohnToo
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 369
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: Leatherhead

Re: UK politics

Post by JohnToo » 1 week ago

Regulator wrote:
1 week ago
She made sweeping generalisations about Pakistanis in her constituency and, when challenged, made a complaint against the person who challenged her. She's also taken digs at Diane Abbott and Dawn Butler...

She supports TERFs and groups like Womans Place.

I'm afraid the more I dig behind her media persona, the less likable she becomes.
I would be described by some as edging in the TERF direction, and what small bits of Phillips' utterances on feminist issues I have read quite appealed to me.

But I agree that Labour needs a leader not a media personality or a controverialist.

I've actually been quite impressed by the ability of several of the candidates to articulate a vision. In my mind, that is a pleasant contrast to the last two leadership elections, in each of which Corbyn seemed like pretty much the only person able to do that.
4 x

ransos
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 261
Joined: 2 years ago

Re: UK politics

Post by ransos » 1 week ago

I too like Keir Starmer, but then I'm a city-dwelling, Remain supporting middle-class man. I have serious concerns about his ability to reach beyond his natural constituency and reclaim the seats across the north that Labour will need in order to return to power.

I have a lot of time for Angela Rayner and think it's a real pity she's not standing.

As for Jess Phillips, going by her media appearances and the excerpts I've read from her book, lead me to conclude that she would be a disaster. I struggle to see more to her than a loudmouth dispensing fortune-cookie wisdom.

I suppose that was a long way of saying that I don't know who I will vote for.
2 x

User avatar
Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1534
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: Cambridge

Re: UK politics

Post by Regulator » 1 week ago

Apparently Corbyn should be strung up because he pointed out that, if we want to be the ‘good guys’, we need to follow the rules we’re supposedly holding others to:

0 x

Post Reply