Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Sonic Budgie

Re: Moral dilemma...

Post by Sonic Budgie » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
...what does the group think?

On my ride yesterday I saw a dozen or so lads having a friendly game of football. They weren't social distancing at all, and I was very conscious that if anyone was a carrier, they were putting all their families at risk. I tutted to myself, but did nothing.

Should have called the police? I don't want to be that person ...but I don't want people to die either.

Should I have taken action? If so, what?
Driving into work yesterday at 8am I had a woman on the pavement gesticulating wildly at me, mouthing or maybe shouting (I was in the car so dunno) something or other but clearly annoyed and tapping her watch.
I assume, from my understanding of international sign language and lip reading, the general gist would have been "Where the bloody hell are you going? No shops are open at 8am on a Sunday get back home and stop being a danger to me standing here on the pavement as you drive past, you selfish bastard!!"
I did think to stop and ask if she could think of anywhere that might be open at 8am that I may have been travelling to, but by the time I'd thought about doing it I was probably about another mile down the road and the moment had gone.
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Anyway, if anyone wants a little update here we go.
Yesterday, well the couple of hours that it took to do the job, was spent emptying lockers and cabinets and offices full of files and syringes and numerous other "elements of medical" (©Trump), moving it from one ward and dumping it in another for the nurses to sort out. Basically the old folks ward has been shifted across the corridor to one that's been totally refitted.
Did a bit of shadowing today, took meal trollies up, brought meal trollies down, got the laundry and the rubbish and shifted some tables.
Still a lot of hanging around. The porters were saying that we've got around 25% of the patients that would normally be in the hospital, due to cancelling operations and treatments and basically turfing everybody else out. So, there's 4 - 5 times the amount of porters for 75% less people. However, I get the feeling that once we've had our uniform (maybe tomorrow) then quite a number will be farmed out to other sites around the county that are being set up for rehab.
The eagle eyed amongst you may remember that I mentioned 9 cases on Friday, apparently it was 8. The situation over the weekend was either an additional 2 or 3 confirmed, one of the cases has died. One of the wards we went to collect the laundry from was going red while we were there as they had had a confirmed case.
1 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

Better to have a surplus of trained pairs of hands waiting for something to do than a lack of them when things suddenly get busy. That's my experience anyway. Well done Sonic!
4 x

Sonic Budgie

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
Better to have a surplus of trained pairs of hands waiting for something to do than a lack of them when things suddenly get busy. That's my experience anyway. Well done Sonic!
Absolutely agree, and as there would only be one reason why we would all be busy I'd rather it stayed as it is.
A number of the porters think that not much is going to happen with us and that it wont get much busier than it is currently, I'm afraid I think they're wrong.
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

There do seem to be conflicting stories about demand. Papers are full of accounts from completely overstretched medics. Yet the Nightingale is apparently delaying taking patients because the need isn't there yet (though a cynic might suspect it's actually because they aren't staffed yet). And ICUs are apparently not full yet. I don't feel I know where the reality lies.
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
4 years ago
There do seem to be conflicting stories about demand. Papers are full of accounts from completely overstretched medics. Yet the Nightingale is apparently delaying taking patients because the need isn't there yet (though a cynic might suspect it's actually because they aren't staffed yet). And ICUs are apparently not full yet. I don't feel I know where the reality lies.
The stories of overstretched medics aren't inconsistent with the stories of ICUs being not full - demand isn't even across the country. The Grauniad had a story at the weekend from "the secret consultant" which you didn't need to read too carefully to realise was as much the story of someone miffed that his colleagues at other hospitals weren't willing to take his overspill as it was the story of someone miffed that the government hadn't funded his hospital adequately.

A journalist's job isn't to tell the unvarnished truth - it's to tell a story and so sell a newspaper or attract a click. I'm spending quite a lot of time at the moment trying to distill the best version of the truth I can from the various papers and news reports that are out there.
0 x

Iris

LowlifeDes wrote:
4 years ago
Gearing myself up to GAF if he dies.
I have four conflicting responses. He's an extraordinarily unattractive politician who is almost uniquely unfitted for the job he's in.

On the other hand he is also someone with an extremely demanding job at the best of times - and now is approaching the worst of times that any of us have ever known. Anyone who's ever had to juggle multiple knife-edge judgements in a hurry without enough information to make those judgements knows the stress of that - and that's without the knowledge that making the wrong decision could kill hundreds and cost billions.

He is also, as @joan points out, a figurehead who was elected by millions. For many people that's very important. He embodies, however imperfectly, British democracy.

Finally, to quote Donne, "No man is an island. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less. Never send to know for whom the bell tolls - it tolls for thee."
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

So, what, his odds are around 50%? I hadn't googled this before....

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... vival-rate
(oh, that's what the url says. I just skimmed the text)
Data from the Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre (ICNARC) showed that of 165 patients treated in critical care in England, Wales and Northern Ireland since the end of February, 79 died, while 86 survived and were discharged.
He's the first person I "know" who has ended in hospital, let alone intensive care.
0 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 4 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
4 years ago
My sister fell and broke her arm yesterday. She went to hospital in Cheltenham. She said it was very quiet there. The staff confirmed that it was really quiet apart from the Coronavirus area, which was very busy.
0 x

Mister Paul

We're getting a stack of PPE delivered to the county soon. In preparation, calls have been made to care homes to ask how their stocks are. Consistent stories of PPE providers increasing their costs extortionately.
0 x

Mister Paul

So, do I stop my 15 year old doing his paper round? It's the only thing that's getting him out of bed.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Mister Paul wrote:
4 years ago
So, do I stop my 15 year old doing his paper round? It's the only thing that's getting him out of bed.
He is doing important work. There are isolated people who still rely on newspapers. Getting out of bed is good for him, as is the exercise.

So, what are the risks? Basically, that whomever prepares the paper has the virus, but doesn't know it. What else? I leave that to you.

Do you think he could manage a one-glove discipline? Use the gloved hand to touch papers and any surfaces, and the other to scratch his nose. So he won't spread his own germs, and he won't catch any.

Can you talk to the newsagents to find out how they handle the papers. They may be pretty pristine when he gets them.

Just throwing out thoughts in case it's helpful to you. The last time I delivered a newspaper was decades ago and thousands of km away.

I don't envy parents now. Or anyone who has parents.
1 x

Iris

Mister Paul wrote:
4 years ago
The Guardian is claiming that the virus has a very short life on newsprint because it's so absorbent that it mops up the outer fatty layer and exposes the genetic material.

I'd encourage him to keep going. The risks to a healthy 15 year old are very small, the exercise is healthy and newspapers are a lifeline to those who are less technologically adept.
2 x

Iris

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
So, what, his odds are around 50%? I hadn't googled this before....

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... vival-rate
(oh, that's what the url says. I just skimmed the text)

He's the first person I "know" who has ended in hospital, let alone intensive care.
It wouldn't be too much of a surprise to discover that Johnson has been sent to ICU a little earlier in the progression of his disease than the average patient.
2 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

I don't wish him ill. I hope he doesn't die - as then he would become a 'Covid Martyr' and probably be given the state funeral he doesn't deserve.

I want him to survive - to face the music for his reckless disregard for the people of the UK.
0 x