Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Greg

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

An ICU nurse told me that for every night spent on the ward, is a week at home for recovery. It could be a while before we see Boris back on our screens. I wish him well, he was giving positive leadership through this, I think we need him.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Iris wrote:
4 years ago
The Guardian is claiming that the virus has a very short life on newsprint because it's so absorbent that it mops up the outer fatty layer and exposes the genetic material.
Aren't newspaper deliveries plastic wrapped these days? The recipients might be safe, but the plastic can hold the virus.

I agree with your conclusion, though.
0 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 4 years ago

No, no wrapping.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
I don't wish him ill. I hope he doesn't die - as then he would become a 'Covid Martyr' and probably be given the state funeral he doesn't deserve.

I want him to survive - to face the music for his reckless disregard for the people of the UK.
I think you are wrong. I think if he dies he will soon become a sad little footnote in history. And a state funeral with world leaders on facetime and no crowds won't have the gravitas that might worry you. They could postpone it until after the crisis, but by then most people will have lost someone close to them (that's a terrifying fact) and won't care.

---
I thought "I couldn't pick Dominic Raab out of a lineup." So I watched his press briefing.

I still couldn't pick him out of a lineup.
--
The only thing the public needs to know about Boris' health is alive/dead/recovering. I don't think we need to know whether he's on a ventilator. He's entitled to some privacy.

He also should stop (pretending he is) running the country, and just focus on his health. And we should let him do that. Of course if he is running the country, we need to know if he's in a coma or not.
1 x

Mister Paul

It's concerning that the sympathy from his illness is raising respect for him. I saw a FB post this morning stating that he is the best PM for generations.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Oh dear.

This is what I shred with some aussie friends
(I'm so conflicted. I do not like Boris. I think he's bad for the country. I am really worried about him. 🤪)
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

Mister Paul wrote:
4 years ago
It's concerning that the sympathy from his illness is raising respect for him. I saw a FB post this morning stating that he is the best PM for generations.
He Got Brexit Done. For some people that was enough.

He was handling the crisis OKish, at least when he realised he had to get serious. He was better than May would have been, and much better than anyone else who might have become PM after the last election.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Moral dilemma...

Sonic Budgie wrote:
4 years ago
Driving into work yesterday at 8am I had a woman on the pavement gesticulating wildly at me, mouthing or maybe shouting (I was in the car so dunno) something or other but clearly annoyed and tapping her watch.
I assume, from my understanding of international sign language and lip reading, the general gist would have been "Where the bloody hell are you going? No shops are open at 8am on a Sunday get back home and stop being a danger to me standing here on the pavement as you drive past, you selfish bastard!!"
I did think to stop and ask if she could think of anywhere that might be open at 8am that I may have been travelling to, but by the time I'd thought about doing it I was probably about another mile down the road and the moment had gone.
Yup. That's the person I don't want to be!
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Looks like he should be able to engage the power of the Dark Side.
videotogif_2020.04.07_15.20.44.gif
1 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Yup. That's the person I don't want to be!
Yesterday we were collared by some horsey woman in all the horsey gear messing about with horsey poles in her horsey garden......... so dead 'essential' right?

The PUBLIC footpath on which we were walking was adjacent to her horsey bungalow.

Horsey Lady: "I've just seen you trampsing through these farmers fields touching stiles and stuff, you DO KNOW whats going on do you"?????!!!!! - She was quite aggresively shouty...

Me: "We went through that open gate adjacent to the stile to precisely avoid that" <OK it was because I couldn't be arsed really, and the open gate was probably 100 feet into the farmers field on a hard stone track.

Horsey Lady "%$%%^@@@@@***&&^^"$£$ why don't you lot stick to your own gardens" - Generic Incoherent Self Righteous Rant

Me: "Its a public footpath"

More ranting at which point we walked off with the bolshy young-un shouting, "Its a public footpath" to fade.

It had me boiling for ages afterwards, the assumption that us townies are somehow 'dirty' (horsey bungalow is even closer to Sainsburys than my house (and i can see it as I type)). The assumption that we do not take due care and dilligience (I have Anigene wipes at home, I keep getting offered Unicorn Tears in exchange for them). The fact that her shitty horsey bungalow is somehow more important than an ancient right of way. The fact that pissing about with horsey poles right next to a footpath isn't like rocking up in the middle of Tesco's with an easel to paint a watercolour......

<and breathe>

Thank you. Feel better now.
2 x

Mister Paul

Greg wrote:
4 years ago
Yesterday we were collared by some horsey woman in all the horsey gear messing about with horsey poles in her horsey garden......... so dead 'essential' right?

The PUBLIC footpath on which we were walking was adjacent to her horsey bungalow.

Horsey Lady: "I've just seen you trampsing through these farmers fields touching stiles and stuff, you DO KNOW whats going on do you"?????!!!!! - She was quite aggresively shouty...

Me: "We went through that open gate adjacent to the stile to precisely avoid that" <OK it was because I couldn't be arsed really, and the open gate was probably 100 feet into the farmers field on a hard stone track.

Horsey Lady "%$%%^@@@@@***&&^^"$£$ why don't you lot stick to your own gardens" - Generic Incoherent Self Righteous Rant

More ranting at which point we walked off with the bolshy young-un shouting, "Its a public footpath" to fade.

It had me boiling for ages afterwards, the assumption that us townies are somehow 'dirty' (horsey bungalow is even closer to Sainsburys than my house (and i can see it as I type)). The assumption that we do not take due care and dilligience (I have Anigene wipes at home, I keep getting offered Unicorn Tears in exchange for them). The fact that her shitty horsey bungalow is somehow more important than an ancient right of way. The fact that pissing about with horsey poles right next to a footpath isn't like rocking up in the middle of Tesco's with an easel to paint a watercolour......

<and breathe>

Dress as a clown and stand motionless at the end of her drive at dusk each evening.
5 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Mister Paul wrote:
4 years ago
Dress as a clown and stand motionless at the end of her drive at dusk each evening.
🤣 😂 🤣 😂 🤣
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

Mister Paul wrote:
4 years ago
This just illustrates the folly of rushed legislation.
1 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

Greg wrote:
4 years ago

<and breathe>

Your mistake, if you you don't mind me saying so, was to engage with her.
2 x

Mister Paul

LowlifeDes wrote:
4 years ago
Your mistake, if you you don't mind me saying so, was to engage with her.
I read that too quickly, and saw...

Your mistake, if you you don't mind me saying so, was to egg her.
3 x