Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

The Real Ravenhurst

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 4 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
4 years ago
What strikes me is the stuff that people aren't taking off the shelves. Loads of anchovies available for instance.
Madness. Anchovies are about the biggest bang for your buck you can get from a store cupboard ingredient. And they make you live forever.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Yesterday I went into a Curry's. I was on a stroll, and thought "auto doors, don't touch anything, stay away from other customers, I should be fine"

So while checking to see if they had the thing I was thinking of buying (the didn't), I saw a staff member walking along my aisle. I thought about walking ahead of him to keep distance, but decided that was paranoid, so I stood back to let him pass. But he wasn't passing. He stopped, half a metre from my face, to ask if I needed any help. And do you know why he had to get so close?

He had laryngitis! Jeezus!

Apparently that's not a symptom of cv19, but stay away from customers if you are sick.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

I’ve just finished the refresher training that will enable me to be redeployed to a hospital if the need arises.

I’m hoping the potential risk of having me make their bed, serve their meal or wipe their arse will scare everyone into doing social distancing properly...
5 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

The Real Ravenhurst wrote:
4 years ago
Madness. Anchovies are about the biggest bang for your buck you can get from a store cupboard ingredient. And they make you live forever.
Confession: I used to stop for a "free" coffee at Waitrose while cycling. Since I started IF I haven't needed a snack, and I don't want to lug home a bulky staple, so I had to find something portable, with a long shelf life, not too expensive that I will definitely eat.

I may have gone too far, but I have a week's survival ration right there, if the worst happens.
Attachments
IMG_20200323_140600408.jpg
3 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
Let me know if your gin supplies get low...

We have wine thanks ;D
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Lullabelle wrote:
4 years ago
We have wine thanks ;D
How's he doing?
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

A cafe down the road has a trestle table outside selling their stock. Catering size tinned tomatoes, trays of eggs. I now have some tagliatelle and a kilo of arborio rice.
2 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

Eggs! Haven't seen any of those for quite a while.
2 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

Yes, why is it that eggs are in short supply? A Sainsbury's lady I spoke to said it wasn't just panic buying, they were only getting half the normal restocking supplies.
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
Eggs! Haven't seen any of those for quite a while.
No, apparently the hens have all been deployed to making toilet paper.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I dropped an egg on the ground on Saturday!

Please forgive me, universe!
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 4 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
4 years ago
No, apparently the hens have all been deployed to making toilet paper.
For the Co-op?
3 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

Just got back from a funeral. The Crem were enforcing 25 max people indoors (the number of chairs they can lay out with 2 m separation) and no touching of hard surfaces (specifically, the coffin - I had to tell several people they weren't allowed to put flowers on the coffin but a couple slipped round me) but they can't stop people hugging each other when they get emotional, they can't stop people congregating and shaking hands afterwards. I was shaken by the hand by a couple of people - what can you do? Refuse?

It will be interesting to see if funerals are banned in the next stage of restrictions.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Hugs are the hardest. My brother decided Friday was the day to get the hug he had wanted from me for years - we have a weird relationship. He was a bit drunk and while I was concerned for both our welfare, I didn't want our last physical interaction to be me rebuffing his affection. He's overweight and has a food avoidance disorder (ironically) so he is not the best equipped to weather this crisis.

I'm sorry for your loss, @JohnToo, but glad you got the opportunity to mourn properly.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
I feel really cheerful. I have spent the "morning" (hey, it's Sunday, any time before 3pm is morning) collating a Web page of the names and numbers of people who are prepared help their neighbours with deliveries, posting mail etc.

It's heartwarming!
Six more sign ups today! Everyone is being so generous.

I really hope it's overkill, but even in worst case scenarios, we shall have some able bodied helpers.
1 x