Moderator: Joan

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Sonic Budgie wrote:
4 years ago
Manual handling day today. Been using slide sheets and hoists and transferring people from one bed to another and helping someone out of a chair. Then had a shed load of forms to fill out when I got home.
Loads there, 30 temporary porters, apparently there are more due in tomorrow. The hospital currently has 20 in total, I don't think they think this is going away any time soon.

In other news while eating my dinner I found out from the conversation going on next to me that this is definitely a man made disease to get rid of old people and that York university has lots of Asian students and lots of other universities do too. Leave it Sonic, not on the first day, other opportunities will present themselves.

In other other news they have a lock-up for bikes and I'm hoping to be able to find out a bit more info and check it out tomorrow.
Sonic, this is really interesting. I have nothing useful to add, but I do hope you keep sharing things from your day with us.

And you have some colleagues who aren't idiots.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Apparently only some Florida counties have order the beaches closed

beaches.jpg
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Sonic, this is really interesting. I have nothing useful to add, but I do hope you keep sharing things from your day with us.

And you have some colleagues who aren't idiots.
Not much to report for the last couple of days, on account of the fact that we did pretty much literally nothing. Currently I don't think they know what to do with us, frankly if I was the boss I'd give us brooms and shovels and bin bags and tell us to make the outside of the hospital spotless, not that it's a mess but there's always room for improvement. A few of us did offer and asked if we could but we were turned down.

I'm in on Sunday with a three others and we're shifting beds out of a ward and I assume shifting the new ones in that were delivered today. Then I'm in at 9 on Monday.

They've split us up next Monday so we're not all rocking up at the same time, the part timers aren't in on Monday and I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see the bank staff again. Sitting around twiddling your thumbs is not what I signed up for, but I'd likely only be busy for one reason and I don't really want that either.

We had the head infections nurse bod give us a bit of a talk today. She mentioned that they had had a few cases in now, I want to say 9 but I could be making that up. One of the patients in the home my wife works in had a fall and broke her hip about ten days ago, they had her in, did the op and pretty much shipped her straight back again, with the ward sister basically saying that they want her out because although they didn't have any cases then the shit was going to hit the fan any minute. So we've gone from none to some in a week.

My wife's home has also now issued the notice that if anyone of theirs comes down with it they will not be taken to hospital, will be DNR and they will just do the best they can with them where they are.

Had a good chat today to a fella that's a mountain guide, he gets employed by companies that sell the excursions, takes people cliff climbing and mountaineering round here, and all round the UK, and also does stuff across the world and trains trainers. He was due to lead a group in Madagascar in July and then had a group lined up for a trip up Aconcagua in December, which as I'm sure you all know already is in Argentina and is the highest mountain in South America. Came across as a really nice guy, with a super interesting job, you could imagine him tumbling out of a VW camper to catch the early surf looking tousled and gorgeous, and I think I hate him, or have a bit of a crush.
3 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 4 years ago

As a little addition to the above when we were doing our moving and handling training on Wednesday it was in a building across the road from the hospital, on Thursday we went back in smaller groups for a quick training session on a thing called a Hoverjack, which is basically 4 airbeds glued one on top of the other which are inflated to lift a patient off the floor, anyway, each time we went in we had our temperature checked. I asked the infections nurse whether, taking into account the appalling response from the government with regards testing and the more complicated logistics, they were considering introducing something similar in the hospital itself.
After having a little rant about the government's non-response to the issue, the answer was no.
1 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

Back to work tomorrow, need to return to some sort of normality.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Lullabelle wrote:
4 years ago
Back to work tomorrow, need to return to some sort of normality.
Wow. How are you feeling?
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Oh dear, they are trying to minimise it, but they wouldn't admit Boris to hospital if they had a choice.
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Oh dear, they are trying to minimise it, but they wouldn't admit Boris to hospital if they had a choice.
Gearing myself up to GAF if he dies.
3 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

That's dark. A pm dying is quite a thing. I've experienced it. The Australian PM went for a swim, and was never seen again. I remember it pretty well, but I was only 5. It's a pretty important world event for a 5 year old to notice.

No state funeral, no visiting dignitaries, just buried at the crossroads with flints and uncharitable words cast at him, like Ophelia*

Then what? PM Michael Gove? 🤢

Edit: oh, no, Dominic Raab, and I am not the only person wondering.....

*yes, I know that's not what happened in Hamlet.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200405-231657.png
0 x

LowlifeDes

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
That's dark.
It is but I asked myself a simple question, would he care if I died? I then tried that same question substituting other people I know and love. The answer came back the same. I do not believe that he genuinely cares about us and he is certainly no more irreplaceable than anyone else.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

LowlifeDes wrote:
4 years ago
It is but I asked myself a simple question, would he care if I died? I then tried that same question substituting other people I know and love. The answer came back the same. I do not believe that he genuinely cares about us and he is certainly no more irreplaceable than anyone else.
Please, don't GAF. I doubt I will.

It's the dying thing that's dark, though I've been thinking about that too.

Yeah, he lied and flushed our future down the toilet to further his political aims. And to what end? He's got what he wanted, and he's making a hash of it.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Moral dilemma...

...what does the group think?

On my ride yesterday I saw a dozen or so lads having a friendly game of football. They weren't social distancing at all, and I was very conscious that if anyone was a carrier, they were putting all their families at risk. I tutted to myself, but did nothing.

Should have called the police? I don't want to be that person ...but I don't want people to die either.

Should I have taken action? If so, what?
0 x

LowlifeDes

You should have confiscated the ball and sent them home.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I don't want to touch that disease-vector ball. + they were bigger than me!
0 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Wow. How are you feeling?
Still feeling a bit ropey but I needed to get out of the house and talk to people. I have changed my hours inline with Dunckle so we travel to and from together, no way could I walk it.
3 x