Bollocks to Brexit

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

JohnToo

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

Dunckel wrote:
4 years ago
The Maybot has just stated that (after losing over 25% of their local councilors) the electorate has sent a clear message that they want the Government to deliver Brexit.

She is literally only capable of seeing the World that she wants to see and shuts out any evidence that the truth may lie elsewhere.
I don't think that the message to be taken from the local elections re Brexit is actually particularly clear.

The clearest message is "a plague on both your houses" to the two main parties (though more so Tories than Labour). That could be interpreted (as May and Corbyn are) as a desire to get on with Brexit, but it could also be punishment for getting us into this position in the first place, or protest at the behaviour of MPs, I don't think it's a clear single message. The biggest beneficiary was the Lib Dems and it is tempting to say that, as they are the clearest pro-EU party, that is a message - but they are also the traditional third party, the recipient of protest votes in local elections that don't always translate to nationals, the party that most strongly position themselves as standing on local rather than national issues. UKIP didn't do conspicuously well - but I'm not sure UKIP are still seen as a primarily a single-issue pro-leave party, I think they are now seen as a slightly nasty right-wing nationalist party.

I think the EU elections will be a clearer test. In those, Farage's new party will probably be seen as the natural single home for pro-leave votes, but (because of continuing lack of interest in cooperation and compromise), the pro-remain votes will be split. I think there is a real risk that the EU elections will deliver an apparent strong endorsement of leave.

I increasingly feel that I would settle for Brexit tied to a strong commitment to a customs union and single market, on the basis that it minimises the economic damage whilst avoiding hard Brexit. And also, which is not the over-riding consideration but a stronger factor than I sense some of you feel, honours the referendum result.
1 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

I don't see the need to 'honour' the result of a contest based on cheating and lying.

It's not as if it wouldn't be possible to run the contest again, without the cheating and lying, and see what result emerged. The damage that will be done by honouring the current position will be immense, whereas the damage done by staying where we are and approaching the subject more honestly would be minimal, mostly some people's hurt pride.
4 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

*Snork*
1 x

Rutabaga

I've signed up for these people's emails, seems like a good idea for those of us in some doubt about who best to vote for in the European election. https://www.remainvoter.com/
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

My EU ballot (London) has arrived. It's nearly a goddamned metre long, and I haven't heard of any of them 😂

Change, Women, LibDem, Pro UE ???? Argh!
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Anyone else been watching ‘Brexit: Behind Closed Doors?

If not, I do really recommend doing so...

It would probably make some people elsewhere have a stroke.
0 x

Rutabaga

Yes, I found it quite riveting but, as you say, it will be regarded by some as proof of Europe's bullying tactics. Whereas to me it showed the extreme lengths to which they are going to try and treat us fairly in the search for a good outcome to all this. While being utterly exasperated by it.

I was struck by the overwhelming majority of men in suits in almost every shot, though, and also by the way in which many of the exasperated 'jokes' were on a par with 'Sorry, there's no money left', both in terms of level of amusingness and in disastrous misjudgement of their probable effect.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Just as an aside, can we not make "stroke" jokes? I'm not claiming PC or anything, it's just personal to me. Heart attack, aneurysm, seizure etc are all fair game.

That being said, one of my favourite memories from six form** was my virginal but wannabe slutty friend hearing a joke and running to share it: "Three nuns saw a flasher and two of them had a heart attack but .....um....eh"

Notes:
  1. "Six form" isn't really a thing in Australia, it was just the year after fifth form. But my school had recently got rid of boarders, and devoted the top floor where the dormitories were to year 12. We had a common room and tea&coffee making facilities, which aren't common - so I think it was like the UK 6th form.
  2. The joke my friend messed up finished with "two of them had a stroke, but one of them couldn't reach"
0 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 4 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
Yes, I found it quite riveting but, as you say, it will be regarded by some as proof of Europe's bullying tactics. Whereas to me it showed the extreme lengths to which they are going to try and treat us fairly in the search for a good outcome to all this. While being utterly exasperated by it.

I was struck by the overwhelming majority of men in suits in almost every shot, though, and also by the way in which many of the exasperated 'jokes' were on a par with 'Sorry, there's no money left', both in terms of level of amusingness and in disastrous misjudgement of their probable effect.
You're right. Brexitcentral have twisted it and managed to get my lovely old dad into a FB brexit froth.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Just as an aside, can we not make "stroke" jokes? I'm not claiming PC or anything, it's just personal to me. Heart attack, aneurysm, seizure etc are all fair game.

That being said, one of my favourite memories from six form** was my virginal but wannabe slutty friend hearing a joke and running to share it: "Three nuns saw a flasher and two of them had a heart attack but .....um....eh"

Notes:
  1. "Six form" isn't really a thing in Australia, it was just the year after fifth form. But my school had recently got rid of boarders, and devoted the top floor where the dormitories were to year 12. We had a common room and tea&coffee making facilities, which aren't common - so I think it was like the UK 6th form.
  2. The joke my friend messed up finished with "two of them had a stroke, but one of them couldn't reach"
Apologies!
Joan wrote:
4 years ago
My EU ballot (London) has arrived. It's nearly a goddamned metre long, and I haven't heard of any of them 😂

Change, Women, LibDem, Pro UE ???? Argh!
How many votes do you get? If it's only a single vote then I'd say Green or Lib Dem.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

This is the voting guide, recommended by Remain United:

0 x

mangaman

Post by mangaman » 4 years ago

I'm not sure the tweet will embed but Green MEP understandably annoyed this site seems to be default everyone vote LD.

Doesn't seem to be at all helpful
3 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

mangaman wrote:
4 years ago

I'm not sure the tweet will embed but Green MEP understandably annoyed this site seems to be default everyone vote LD.

Doesn't seem to be at all helpful
Looks rather like a politician being petulant to me. In the Southwest, which is one of the lib dems' historical strongholds, a vote for them seems a no-brainer.

There's a map of council control at the top of the wiki page, showing as expected that large parts of the southwest have strong LD showings.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Un ... _elections

Elsewhere, the various sites are running various models based on whatever information is available. I'm not surprised, given the local election results, that England is getting an orange recommendation.
0 x

mangaman

Post by mangaman » 4 years ago

I think it's a bit harsh to call her petulant.
She's a sitting remainer MEP

There's no logic in a website recommending voting her out from a remain vs leave standpoint
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Why oh why don't we have a preferential voting system? Tactical voting is an anathema.

</rant>
0 x