Your Ride Today

Everything to do with cycling
Sonic Budgie

Re: Your Ride Today

Post by Sonic Budgie » 4 years ago

For reasons both internal and external my mileage is down again this year, although my commuting has been getting better over the past few months, as in its pretty much a daily event again, it's been ages since I made the effort, got up and got some extra miles in before work, which was the norm. But I did it twice this week and I enjoyed it as I knew I would, so come on motivation, don't desert me now :)
Screenshot_20190707-155126_Strava.jpg
Screenshot_20190707-155420_Strava.jpg
2 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 4 years ago

I did just over a mile this morning: the significance of the journey was the first time my youngest cycled to school.
5 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

ransos wrote:
4 years ago
I did just over a mile this morning: the significance of the journey was the first time my youngest cycled to school.
Excellent! Today I saw a lad of about 13 cycling home from school with either his younger sister or his girlfriend sitting facing forward on the handlebars. It gladdened my heart! Just warning you, this might be the future one way or the other.
2 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
Excellent! Today I saw a lad of about 13 cycling home from school with either his younger sister or his girlfriend sitting facing forward on the handlebars. It gladdened my heart! Just warning you, this might be the future one way or the other.
Fit a strong rack for that elegant side-saddle thing they do in The Netherlands.
1 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
4 years ago
Fit a strong rack for that elegant side-saddle thing they do in The Netherlands.
Sidesaddle here is on the crossbar. Yes, really - spotted several times in Bologna and Ferrara.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Slight downer about cross bar riding
Show
I couple of weeks ago I was walking away from my house, and I moved out of the way of a tiny family riding on the pavement, boy on balance bike, and his little brother on the cross bar of his dad's hybrid. When they were only a few metres ahead of me, travelling slowly, I heard a sickening cry. I ran forward to see if I could help, and the poor little toddler's shoe - and foot - was tangled in the spokes at a worrying angle. I eased the shoe off gently, while the dad untangle the foot. It may not have been broken, but the bones are very soft at that age. A second later the mum joined us, and I backed away quickly - they did not need my input. I remember my mum saying about when I broke my arm aged 7 or 8 "I could tell your cry was different" - the parents will know if they need to worry.

Poor little guy. They were having such a nice day seconds before.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

More cheerfully - I am doing great breaking in my new Brooks. Haven't put it to any great test, but doing better than I was on the plastic saddle a few weeks ago.

I haven't done one 50km ride yet. I will need to do two, back to back to know it's better than the saddle it's replacing. I am confident.
2 x

Rutabaga

I was described as 'exemplary' this morning, for taking some recycling to the tip on my bike! ;D The guy followed up with, 'I was looking for a battery, but I see it's a proper bike.' I've been clearing out the shed, but ferrying the rest of the stuff will have to wait until the weather cools down a bit, it was proper stifling this morning.
3 x

Sonic Budgie

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
I was described as 'exemplary' this morning, for taking some recycling to the tip on my bike! ;D The guy followed up with, 'I was looking for a battery, but I see it's a proper bike.'
Bloody hell, I could imagine that stirring a few emotions if one was more than a little sensitive about electric bikes and their classification.
0 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 4 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
I was described as 'exemplary' this morning, for taking some recycling to the tip on my bike! ;D The guy followed up with, 'I was looking for a battery, but I see it's a proper bike.' I've been clearing out the shed, but ferrying the rest of the stuff will have to wait until the weather cools down a bit, it was proper stifling this morning.
I did that on Sunday. Full trailer-load of old rugs and doormats and stuff. Most satisfying.
1 x

Rutabaga

Sonic Budgie wrote:
4 years ago
Bloody hell, I could imagine that stirring a few emotions if one was more than a little sensitive about electric bikes and their classification.
Probably true, but it wasn't the time to mention all that, really.
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

Sonic Budgie wrote:
4 years ago
The secret of not being oversensitive about electric bikes is not to put your tongue on the battery terminals.
2 x

Sonic Budgie

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
Probably true, but it wasn't the time to mention all that, really.
Well, no, I was trying to make a loaded comment without breaking Rule 1, failing too.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Rule #1 You do not talk about fight club.
1 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 4 years ago

A blazing hot weekend. Perfect for my annual camping trip with the kids.

I'd post photos but there appears to be literally no way of doing so from my phone.
2 x