TV/Streaming shows

Ephemera and whimsy
ransos

Re: TV/Streaming shows

Post by ransos » 4 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
You are right. That particular arrogant male voice with its total lack of humility is everywhere.
Do you think so?
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
Opinionated women were rather in vogue in 1972, it's true. How times change eh?
Opinionated woman gives opinion about opinionated women ;) <ducks>
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

Greg wrote:
4 years ago
Opinionated woman gives opinion about opinionated women ;) <ducks>
Cheers. It's the being sneered at every time that gets to me, so I am going to stop sharing opinions.
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
Cheers. It's the being sneered at every time that gets to me, so I am going to stop sharing opinions.
I don't see sneering but then I've got a cock. Dont stop sharing!!!
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 4 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
Dressing them up as facts is de rigueur, give that a bash.
1 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

Sonic Budgie wrote:
4 years ago
Dressing them up as facts is de rigueur, give that a bash.
Here's the thing, as someone used to say.

It seems I have been outed as a woman, despite a vain attempt on my part to present as a gender-neutral entity on here. I do have strong opinions on all sorts of things, but I try to express them in terms of "I think", "It might be that", "I wonder if", "I rather liked" ... because I think that way the floor is opened in a polite way for others to join the debate. But to be met time and time again with other people's strongly-held opinions expressed in terms of "No, it's rubbish", "It's obvious that", "Nonsense", "Do you really think so?" (the latter as if I were some child who posts stuff without thinking about it much), and eventually, if I persist in not backing down, with the likes of "Oh FFS wind your neck in and stop being so precious", just reminds me of another place where certain people made the debate simply too toxic to tolerate.

I notice that the other three women who inhabit this place don't get this treatment, no matter what they post, be it bland or utter bollocks, so I'm afraid I can't help but take it personally. The people I am referring to know who they are, and I think they should climb down off their high horses and take a good hard look at themselves. In the meantime I am taking time off, and well done to them for reducing the female presence on here by 25%.
0 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 4 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago

The people I am referring to know who they are, and I think they should climb down off their high horses and take a good hard look at themselves. In the meantime I am taking time off, and well done to them for reducing the female presence on here by 25%.
Nothing's ever your fault, is it?
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

I do not understand how this got so heated, but can we rule a line under it at this point?

Thanks.
1 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
I do not understand how this got so heated
The thing to do is to look at the interactions and see the patterns. The two posts immediately above should give sufficient clues.
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Not tv, radio.
I'd just like to say that I'm a big fan of R4 extra, but Warhorses of Letters is utter shit!
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

Sonic Budgie wrote:
4 years ago
I don't care what anyone says, I don't care what anyone thinks, I think His Dark Materials is a fabulous trilogy!
I am very, very much looking forward to the TV adaptation coming soon to the BBC. I have already been entertaining myself by criticising the castings as they've been announced.
There, I've said it, do your worst!
I see Lucy Mangan gave it five stars. I think I'd have gone for only 3 or 4. I thought the toning down of the steampunk angle detracted a bit, and I thought the daemons weren't quite closely enough linked to their humans. But the basic faithfulness to the source material meant it couldn't help but be good.

We're half way through listening to the audiobook of The Secret Commonwealth on car journeys, so this could get confusing...
1 x

Sonic Budgie

JohnToo wrote:
4 years ago
I see Lucy Mangan gave it five stars. I think I'd have gone for only 3 or 4. I thought the toning down of the steampunk angle detracted a bit, and I thought the daemons weren't quite closely enough linked to their humans. But the basic faithfulness to the source material meant it couldn't help but be good.

We're half way through listening to the audiobook of The Secret Commonwealth on car journeys, so this could get confusing...
Not quite a 5 from me for the first episode but there was a lot to set up, so I'll admit to feeling it dragged a little in parts. In saying that I'm very familiar with the story so a newbie may not have felt the same. Agree about the daemons, it was, along with almost everything else, a big failing of the film. Hopefully we'll see a little more meat put on that as we see a reduction in characters being introduced and the story moves on.
It was in general very close to the story with a couple of minor tweaks but agree with what you say about the steampunk and as a result I think you lost a little bit of the feeling that this is a different world, not a magical one, which you could be forgiven for thinking because there were talking animals, which goes back to your point about the link between daemon and human. They spent more time setting up the Magisterium.
Overall happy with the casting, Lyra looks great, still not convinced about Ruth Wilson, she's a fantastic actor, but I'm not sure yet that she's Mrs Coulter.
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Oh, and the alethiometer should be round not square >:(
1 x

Sonic Budgie

JohnToo wrote:
4 years ago
I thought the daemons weren't quite closely enough linked to their humans.
Just re-watched it and background characters are invariably not shown with their daemon, there are also numerous occasions where the daemons of the main characters are not visible. I'm sure it would, if you didn't know the story, give the impression that they are pets that some have.
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

Sonic Budgie wrote:
4 years ago
Just re-watched it and background characters are invariably not shown with their daemon, there are also numerous occasions where the daemons of the main characters are not visible. I'm sure it would, if you didn't know the story, give the impression that they are pets that some have.
I agree. I'm coloured by learning more about the human/daemon relationship in The Secret Commonwealth, but I think even the revelations and plot developments in the original trilogy make sense only if you have built up a sense of just how strong and intimate the bond is, and I'm not sure the opening episode even established the normal physical limits on separation.

I'd still give it 3, probably 4, stars, just not quite 5.
1 x