Iris

Re: UK politics

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

Fuck
2 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

Congratulations TRR on helping retain Gower. I feel we have to celebrate whatever we can find.

Personally, my tactical vote helped the LibDems get closer than, I think, ever before in our constituency, but not, of course, close enough.

My wife and I are looking at estate agents websites' for Edinburgh.
4 x

JohnToo

Dunckel wrote:
4 years ago
Jess Phillips to be the next Labour Prime Minister. It might be in 10 years time, but fingers crossed.
But it's worse than that, isn't it. Before the next election, Johnson will have implemented the boundary changes, which creates a twenty-? seat disadvantage to Labour, and introduced compulsory voter ID, which disenfranchises a couple of million mainly Labour voters.
1 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

I guess that Jeremy Corbyn might as well cut loose now, and give free rein to his true nature by firebombing Margaret Hodge's house.
2 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

Oh well, I guess I can go back to being a Blair-rite again now.
0 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
4 years ago
But it's worse than that, isn't it. Before the next election, Johnson will have implemented the boundary changes, which creates a twenty-? seat disadvantage to Labour, and introduced compulsory voter ID, which disenfranchises a couple of million mainly Labour voters.
Don't make it worse than it is.
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 4 years ago

Fuck it, I'm in Mexico, might stay here.
IMG-20191212-WA0000.jpeg
3 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

We were looking at houses in Cyprus today...
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
Cyprus is rated a flawed democracy, so not necessarily an improvement, apart from the weather.
1 x

Iris

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
Everyone does that on holiday, don't they?

There's somewhere in Orkney we have our eyes on. And getting a toe hold in Wales wasn't entirely without geopolitical forethought.
1 x

Iris

Jonathan Freedland is really good when he's angry.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... left-party
0 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 4 years ago

Iris wrote:
4 years ago

No he isn't, and he's been constantly angry for four years. He's part of the reason why there are so many people who didn't trust Corbyn. And he's wrong to think they trusted Johnson any more - they don't trust anyone.

The Guardian left it a bit late to come out for Labour, didn't they? At least they still have Charabortty and Younge.

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ion-brexit
4 x

JohnToo

Iris wrote:
4 years ago

He puts the very prevalent view from the last few days, that the election was there for Labour's taking, and any half-decent opposition would have walked it, and the failure to do so is evidence of just how bad Corbyn was. But I don't think that's the whole story, or even the main part of the story. It overlooks the lunge into populism (and the associated traits of lies and racism and so forth) of the Conservatives, and the changed mood of the electorate, or swathes of it, that made them willing to vote for an openly and nakedly right-wing populist agenda. It's the evil forces in society unleashed by Thatcher having taken root and become what our society is. Faced with that, I am not nearly so sure that any other Labour leader would have had the walk-over suggested.
3 x

JohnToo

Iris wrote:
4 years ago
Everyone does that on holiday, don't they?

There's somewhere in Orkney we have our eyes on. And getting a toe hold in Wales wasn't entirely without geopolitical forethought.
Blimey. How many properties are you envisaging ending up owning?
0 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 4 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
4 years ago
He puts the very prevalent view from the last few days, that the election was there for Labour's taking, and any half-decent opposition would have walked it, and the failure to do so is evidence of just how bad Corbyn was. But I don't think that's the whole story, or even the main part of the story. It overlooks the lunge into populism (and the associated traits of lies and racism and so forth) of the Conservatives, and the changed mood of the electorate, or swathes of it, that made them willing to vote for an openly and nakedly right-wing populist agenda. It's the evil forces in society unleashed by Thatcher having taken root and become what our society is. Faced with that, I am not nearly so sure that any other Labour leader would have had the walk-over suggested.
There are very many doctors making diagnoses. I think many can agree on some common causes of Labour's illness: Brexit policy, a clumsy manifesto, Corbyn's unpopularity. But it seems to me that the cures being prescribed are based upon knee-jerk personal politics rather than a considered assessment.
2 x