This is going to be fun to watch.
1 x

Greg

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
4 years ago
That seems like a good thing to me.
Yep. As the terrifying thoughts of a Tory / BXP Ltd coalition starts to fade and drifts towards the benefits it will have to 'our' side.

For fear of stating the obvious, this is, and has always only ever been, about Nigel wanting to sit on those green benches.
1 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

A month or so ago, we were discussing whether Leave could ever be legitimate position. I remembered then that Larry Elliot, the Guardian economics editor, had been Leave, but I couldn't be arsed to track down the references. But there's an interview today that includes this:
You have written a lot about why you voted Leave and why it’s important to be open about this view at the Guardian. Can you tell us more about that?
I don’t regret how I voted because I believe we need to see radical change to the fundamentals of British economy. I think my views are valued by readers, or at least some of them! To me, 2016 was an expression of profound dissatisfaction with the status quo, of which the EU is part.

I’ve always thought Tony Benn got it right about the EU. He thought of it as pro big business, pro multinationals, anti working people, undemocratic and the embodiment of neoliberal economic ideas. I agree with that. I’m not sure, though, that the economic arguments matter all that much in the current Brexit debate. It is more about how people feel about themselves, how they identify themselves. For those on the Remain side, opposing Brexit suggests that they are liberal, internationalist, supporters of modernity and multiculturalism. I see no contradiction in being pro-Brexit and being an internationalist. I have never seen anything especially leftwing about the EU.
For the avoidance of doubt, please note that I am and continue to be Remain - but I recognise that there are valid, progressive, left-wing arguments for Leave.
1 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

As we have no dedicated election thread, here is Pye on week one of the campaign. Fairly even handed in his scorn and a lot less sweary than usual.

1 x

Greg

Nigel has just created the Brexservative party
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

Greg wrote:
4 years ago
Nigel has just created the Brexservative party
He’s still after a peerage I reckon...
0 x

Greg

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
He’s still after a peerage I reckon...
and the balance of power in a hung parliament?
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Greg wrote:
4 years ago
and the balance of power in a hung parliament?
I'm not sure. I think they may also be struggling to get sufficient candidates (and the deadline is 4 pm on Thursday this week). They had a batch of candidates 'processed' (i.e. they paid over a cheque to the Brexit Party Limited and had their photo taken) last week apparently but a number of them have dropped out already...
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

2 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Just a heads up...

‘Little Brexit’ (a Matt Lucas and David Walliams update) is on Radio 4 at 11.00 pm tonight.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

My hair has gone grey. That means I keep ending up in discussions with women who also have grey hair. My soul is 17 years old. I am the opposite of an old soul. I am going to have to dye my hair.

But I in the meantime, I am talking with old - much older - women. The lady in Richmond waitrose (yeah, their pork is outdoor reared. Oh - nearly forgot, they have free-ish coffee) gloated to me of how well Britain will do post Brexit, and when I expressed my regret about the end of free movement she boasted that she had lived in Germany for 3 years, and France for 4. She had no idea that right might not apply to her grandchildren that she would not shut up about.

Eventually I told her I didn't want to talk to her any more.
2 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
My hair has gone grey. That means I keep ending up in discussions with women who also have grey hair. My soul is 17 years old. I am the opposite of an old soul. I am going to have to dye my hair.

But I in the meantime, I am talking with old - much older - women. The lady in Richmond waitrose (yeah, their pork is outdoor reared. Oh - nearly forgot, they have free-ish coffee) gloated to me of how well Britain will do post Brexit, and when I expressed my regret about the end of free movement she boasted that she had lived in Germany for 3 years, and France for 4. She had no idea that right might not apply to her grandchildren that she would not shut up about.

Eventually I told her I didn't want to talk to her any more.
Ah yes, the conundrum. How, or even if, to chat with total strangers and "friends" that have so gleefully ripped away the opportunities and future that was there for you and this country. I cheer myself up by remembering how much worse things are going get.
1 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 4 years ago

Sonic Budgie wrote:
4 years ago
Ah yes, the conundrum. How, or even if, to chat with total strangers and "friends" that have so gleefully ripped away the opportunities and future that was there for you and this country. I cheer myself up by remembering how much worse things are going get.
I have two close friends who voted brexit. One is very dyslexic and this affects his ability to process things. He processes externally, and we've had many respectful conversations about the situation. He understands the complexities and we're OK.

The other was a straight-bananas Daily Mail sucker brexiteer who could never argue past the headlines. We can rarely talk these days. I don't know what he believes now and I'm not going to waste my breath trying to find out.
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 4 years ago

Mister Paul wrote:
4 years ago
I have two close friends who voted brexit. One is very dyslexic and this affects his ability to process things. He processes externally, and we've had many respectful conversations about the situation. He understands the complexities and we're OK.

The other was a straight-bananas Daily Mail sucker brexiteer who could never argue past the headlines. We can rarely talk these days. I don't know what he believes now and I'm not going to waste my breath trying to find out.
My two best mates both voted Remain, both still think it's a stupid idea, one did move into the "It was voted for let's just get it done camp", we'll all find far more interesting things to talk about I'm sure.
My ride partner turned out to be a xenophobic racist and we haven't ridden together for around 3.5yrs now and I don't suppose we ever will again.
I'm also moving away from using any of my suppliers whose reps voted leave, childish and will in reality make little to no difference to them, but bollocks to them anyway.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Sonic Budgie wrote:
4 years ago
Actually it's worse than that. She did not seem to understand that freedom of movement is a two way street, and believed that people could live in Europe in the future because she did in the past.

It boggles the imagination.
0 x