Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Come on, Tesco, you can do better

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Contributing to obesity, fatty liver and diabetes. Acting as a vector for infection.

Is this the worst possible thing a store could do? Whole Foods eliminated their bins of seeds last week!
Attachments
IMG_20200323_201641827_1.jpg
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

A noticeable difference on my morning walk with Jack this morning. Many of the driveways that would normally be empty are full.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Shit just got real. I have logged into Facebook for the first time in years to link up with mutual aid groups.

PS I seem to be running a mutual aid group 🤯

PPS I can hear a plane!
2 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

@Iris If this semi containment strategy doesn't work and we suffer a significant number of deaths, with those deaths impacting older people more than young. After accounting for any wealth imbalance in those age groups, would we see a noticeable shift of weath between generations?
0 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 4 years ago

I'm on a call with my manager this morning. What's apparent is the disjoin between emergency planning teams and operational managers. Really struggling to understand what's being said after it's been filtered through someone who doesn't have a clue about response and planning.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Glad you have us to vent to @Mister Paul

On a lighter note, my residents association uses a heron as it's logo, so this is our corona logo
Attachments
Screenshot_20200324-104851_1.png
3 x

Mister Paul

Paperboys. Essential service? Potential to spread, but also a potential lifeline to the people who still have papers delivered.

Besides, the boy needs the money.
0 x

Mister Paul

Oh, and laptops.

Obvious one really but there's been a rush on laptops. Boy no.2 has a birthday next week and we're getting him Chromebook. I love them, and boy no.1 confirmed that he's done the last 3 years, including GCSE and 6th form, just off a Chromebook and never needed a pc/laptop. Could I find one? Only just. Amazon have been out of 14"+ machines for ages. Everyone else has sold out unless you want to pay hundreds.

Found and reserved the only one this side of Swindon, in an Argos the other side of Bristol. Decided to nip over yesterday afternoon to pick it up. So glad I did.

Now we have 4 people working at home, and 4 machines available.
0 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 4 years ago

We've reviewed our construction projects and concluded that none of them can operate with required social distancing, so we're closing them down. It does make me wonder how many construction sites could genuinely operate in compliance with current guidance.
1 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
How's he doing?
Better thank you, still not brilliant but getting there, just waiting for me to catch it now.
1 x

LowlifeDes

Mister Paul wrote:
4 years ago
Paperboys. Essential service? Potential to spread, but also a potential lifeline to the people who still have papers delivered.

Besides, the boy needs the money.
I knocked next door the other day to see if they needed anything. They are self-quarantined as she is in a particularly vulnerable group. Apparently the newsagents told them to phone if they need anything, and they bring it with the paper in the morning. That qualifies in my book.
4 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Just been issued with a 'Key Health Worker' letter. Basically, combined with my staff ID, it's to enable "freedom to travel" and access to "all preferential and complimentary services and dispensation" being afforded to NHS staff.
0 x

LowlifeDes

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
Just been issued with a 'Key Health Worker' letter. Basically, combined with my staff ID, it's to enable "freedom to travel" and access to "all preferential and complimentary services and dispensation" being afforded to NHS staff.
At the risk of sounding a bit rude, why? Does your role actually require it?
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Second ever blanket text message emergency alert I have received. The first was during the 2009 bushfire disaster. That turned out OK, the rain came 6 hours early.

I wish I could think of an analogy for rain that applies now. 😔
Attachments
Screenshot_20200324-124109.png
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

LowlifeDes wrote:
4 years ago
At the risk of sounding a bit rude, why? Does your role actually require it?
I provide support to 39 hospitals - primarily remotely but often 'on the ground'. What people tend to forget (including in the NHS) is that doctors, nurses, medical supplies, etc. don't organise themselves. There's a whole raft of people who work behind the scenes who are just as key.

There is also a strong possibility I'll be redeployed to front line hospital work.
0 x