Thwack

Everything to do with cycling
Rutabaga

Re: Thwack

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

Excellent news TRR! I have a great deal of time for physios, they generally know their stuff and treat you like an individual. I had some very subtle exercises suggested for me when I had my clavicle repaired and they helped a lot, despite my initial scepticism. [Arnica I am still in two minds about, but I am giving it a fair trial :-) ]

I know you are way too sensible for this advice really, but I do wish surgeons wouldn't blithely say stuff like 'get on with whatever you like' - that doesn't mean donning a rucksack full of rocks and yomping up the nearest climbing wall. Be kind to your healing bones (as I'm sure you will)!
1 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

Yeah, that’s great news TRR!!
1 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 5 years ago

A colleague at work had a back op today, which put bones in my mind, which prompts me to ask: any update on how it’s going, TRR?
1 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 5 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
5 years ago
A colleague at work had a back op today, which put bones in my mind, which prompts me to ask: any update on how it’s going, TRR?
Not bad, thanks, John. I got back on the bike for a week or so and then got off it again after finding myself on black ice and becoming a bit nervous about hitting the deck before being fully repaired. Football coach will only let me do the dull stuff, in case I get slammed into the wall by some beefy Cardiffian in five-a-side. The join is wonky but appears to be holding up. Can do most normal stuff now without a lot of pain, although I still have weak movement in some directions - the physio has given me some boring exercises to address this and I'm seeing him again tomorrow. Am just getting round to giving the bike I got hit on the once-over, and it's quite difficult to distinguish crash damage from the effects of a whole autumn of neglect.
4 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 5 years ago

The Real Ravenhurst wrote:
5 years ago
Football coach will only let me do the dull stuff
Placeholder for obvious gag about how that doesn't narrow down your options all that much.

Glad to hear that things are on the mend. Most exercise is really dull - though when I was under the care of a physio I took a perverse pleasure in being stubborn enough to do it so that I could say I had the next time I saw him. Unfortunately that stubbornness ran out right at the end when he said "come back if you need to", so I never did the final bit which would have progressed onto being able to do something reasonably satisfying.
1 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

The other day, I had to choose between cycling in the door zone for fifty yards, or adopting a position that would make me very vulnerable to any oncoming traffic (I chose to risk the door zone as it happens) and that reminded me to wonder how things are going now it's getting on for a year?
1 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 4 years ago

Not bad, John. Thanks for asking. It's a wonky join and subject to twinges, but there isn't anything I can't do that I couldn't before. Not remembering actually hitting the deck is probably a good thing, as I've not become fearful of riding, but I am hyper-alert along the road where it happened, as it's a hot-spot for all kinds of driver idiocy. I got some compensation too via the CTC lawyerpeeps, so am slightly less in debt and was able to bung my brother a donation towards a new bike for Proper Dangerous Stuff.
4 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

So you haven't answered the most important question: can you still wear a ball gown?

Glad to hear you have made a decent recovery. I'd suggest avoiding riding on cobblestones as they are likely to aggravate a wonky join. Also they can lead to nun jokes.
1 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
So you haven't answered the most important question: can you still wear a ball gown?

Glad to hear you have made a decent recovery. I'd suggest avoiding riding on cobblestones as they are likely to aggravate a wonky join. Also they can lead to nun jokes.
I loathe riding on cobbles anyway, so avoidance is my default mode. Luckily there aren't many in Swansea. Unfortunately I was working in Edinburgh for the whole of August :(

Don't know about ball gowns, but there is some risk that I may never play the violin again...
1 x