TV/Streaming shows

Ephemera and whimsy
Whiskeyjack

Re: The Good Place

Post by Whiskeyjack » 4 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
4 years ago
I saw about 20 minutes of Good Omens on a train the other day. The woman sat next to me was watching it on her tablet but, as she was using headphones, I only got the visuals and no sound. I couldn't decide whether it was brilliant or rubbish.
I thought it was ok but nothing to get excited about. The casting of the main two was inspired but it’s a pity it wasn’t better.
Pratchett's work just doesn’t seem to work on tv.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: TV/Streaming shows

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
5 years ago
I watched the first two episodes [of Killing Eve] a few months ago. Really liked it, but got stuck on the 3rd episode. I mean to watch it, but I think I have a bit of a medical phobia (the opposite of that Chinese gentleman's problem) and couldn't get past the cold open at the "clinic".

I will return to it, though.
ARGH

I'm sitting alone in front of a licence payer's TV, so I though I would go back and finish episode 3. Currently 3 minutes and 30 seconds in (IE not as far as I got last time) and I've hit pause.

Phobia is worse for TV than for actual nurses, thank God!

Update: in 17 minutes I have watched another 80s.

Update #2: made it to the end.

Killing Eve, series 1,episode 3
Show
It wa obviously going to be Bill's last episode. Obvious if you have ever seen a movie.
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 4 years ago

Orange is the new Black. There's 7 series of this on Netflix, the 7th being the last ever, apparently.
Where this program starts is a very long way from where it finishes. Billed as a comedy-drama the laughs diminish as the series move on, although they're still there, it's far darker and grittier as it progresses. There's a dip around series 5, which could well have been the catalyst for bringing it to a close. But if you haven't caught it, I'd recommend it.
1 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

The Repair Shop, BBC.

Ignore the fact that it seems to be the favourite of a certain breed of nostalgic men - it is a genuine delight, and a balm for the soul.

I know I should add "in these troubled times", but it's a phrase I'm allergic to.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Sonic Budgie wrote:
4 years ago
Orange is the new Black. There's 7 series of this on Netflix, the 7th being the last ever, apparently.
Where this program starts is a very long way from where it finishes. Billed as a comedy-drama the laughs diminish as the series move on, although they're still there, it's far darker and grittier as it progresses. There's a dip around series 5, which could well have been the catalyst for bringing it to a close. But if you haven't caught it, I'd recommend it.
I prefer the original

No, it's great. Unfortunately I have lost my place, so not sure which season I need to pick it up again.
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
I prefer the original

No, it's great. Unfortunately I have lost my place, so not sure which season I need to pick it up again.
Ah Prisoner, essential viewing at 1am or whatever time it was on, that and Get Stuffed, anyone remember that?
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

(google google)
Screenshot_20190830-181408.png
😂

I did find the one you referred to
2 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 4 years ago

Doco on BBC2 right now built around the testimonies of the women assaulted by Harvey Weinstein.
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

The Real Ravenhurst wrote:
4 years ago
Doco on BBC2 right now built around the testimonies of the women assaulted by Harvey Weinstein.
I watched that, it was sobering stuff and very well put together. The review in the Guardian this morning says everything I would want to say about it.
Edit to add link: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... -the-world
Last edited by Rutabaga on Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

On a different note, is anyone else sickened by Ford's latest ad campaign, in which a child is filled with wonder and delight on discovering their latest car in a leafy wood, being actually constructed out of actual butterflies? Cynical load of bollocks.
1 x

Sonic Budgie

State of the Nation, all available on iplayer. There's 9 (or maybe 10?) episodes, they're only 10 minutes long. It's about a couple going to marriage counselling, they meet in the pub before each session and they talk. It's billed as a comedy, but it's not belly laughs, it's smart, clever. Give it a go.
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Sonic Budgie wrote:
4 years ago
State of the Nation, all available on iplayer. There's 9 (or maybe 10?) episodes, they're only 10 minutes long. It's about a couple going to marriage counselling, they meet in the pub before each session and they talk. It's billed as a comedy, but it's not belly laughs, it's smart, clever. Give it a go.
State of the Union, not Nation, you utter plum!!!!
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

Re-watching Handmaids Tale Series 1, having finished Testaments, its almost like watching it fresh again (plus it was ages ago and I was probably pissed).
0 x

Sonic Budgie

What's it on?
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

Sonic Budgie wrote:
4 years ago
What's it on?
That's a point, we're watching it on planner but where it came from, I'm not sure. Could even be the original screening recorded. Will have a look later.
0 x