TV/Streaming shows

Ephemera and whimsy
JohnToo

Re: TV/Streaming shows

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

FWIW, we caught up on the first episode of Name of the Rose on iplayer and liked it.
0 x

Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack » 4 years ago

started on the final season of The Good Place. Its Not as good as it was but still entertaining, I think they are right to call it a day.
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 4 years ago

I don't care what anyone says, I don't care what anyone thinks, I think His Dark Materials is a fabulous trilogy!
I am very, very much looking forward to the TV adaptation coming soon to the BBC. I have already been entertaining myself by criticising the castings as they've been announced.
There, I've said it, do your worst!
3 x

Whiskeyjack

Sonic Budgie wrote:
4 years ago
I don't care what anyone says, I don't care what anyone thinks, I think His Dark Materials is a fabulous trilogy!
I am very, very much looking forward to the TV adaptation coming soon to the BBC. I have already been entertaining myself by criticising the castings as they've been announced.
There, I've said it, do your worst!
Im too busy thinking the same about The Wheel of Time series to worry about HDM. It does look good in the trailers though.

The Expanse is almost back too, I dont care that noone i know watches it. O0
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

Whiskeyjack wrote:
4 years ago
Im too busy thinking the same about The Wheel of Time series to worry about HDM. It does look good in the trailers though.

I watched it - and even got Mr R hooked on it. 👍
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Whiskeyjack wrote:
4 years ago

I loved the first two series, started on the third but was too annoyed about it being on Prime to finish it.
Tell me about The Wheel of Time.
1 x

Whiskeyjack

Sonic Budgie wrote:
4 years ago
I loved the first two series, started on the third but was too annoyed about it being on Prime to finish it.
Tell me about The Wheel of Time.
To be fair, Amazon saved it and we wouldnt get a 4th series without them. The 3rd series was the best yet IMO so I think if you liked the others you will liek it.

Wheel of time a is fantasy series (game of thrones ish), it has potential to be big as the world created is really in depth and fleshed out. The books lost their way in the middle but that could easily be skipped over in a TV show. The series was so long, the author (Robert Jordan) died before finishing but he prepared and had another author chosen and ready to finish the job. He did write the final chapter. Has a special place for me for reasons you guys dont want to be bored with :D
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Whiskeyjack wrote:
4 years ago
To be fair, Amazon saved it and we wouldnt get a 4th series without them. The 3rd series was the best yet IMO so I think if you liked the others you will liek it.

Wheel of time a is fantasy series (game of thrones ish), it has potential to be big as the world created is really in depth and fleshed out. The books lost their way in the middle but that could easily be skipped over in a TV show. The series was so long, the author (Robert Jordan) died before finishing but he prepared and had another author chosen and ready to finish the job. He did write the final chapter. Has a special place for me for reasons you guys dont want to be bored with :D
I'll look out for the books, thank you :)
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
Lucy Mangan's at it again, disparaging Giri/Haji, which started last night. I enjoyed it very much. Elsewhere though, the Guardian heartily recommends the new (!) series of Still Open All Hours, so I think I might stop looking at their review section altogether for a bit.
Mangan is a Guardian Treasure of whom I can forgive much. But this time she's got it spot on as a three-star solid but uninspired offering. Based on the first episode (which is all she's been able to see and so review) it's a fairly samey thriller which relies on its Japanese setting for exoticism - and several times descends into stereotype. One or two of the characters have potential - and I'll happily watch some more to pass the time or in the hopes it gets better.

There was a bilingual Hong Kong/London thriller based around Triad activity a year or so ago which covered the same sort of ground much better - largely because it treated everything seriously and straight rather than trying occasionally to send itself up.
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

You do have a tendency to frame your opinions as fact, don't you. I thought Giri/Haji was fresh, involving, amusing, and interesting, but that is of course just my personal taste in entertainment.
1 x

Iris

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
You do have a tendency to frame your opinions as fact, don't you.
So, if you read the internet, do most of the world.
0 x

Rutabaga

Iris wrote:
4 years ago
So, if you read the internet, do most of the world.
You are right. That particular arrogant male voice with its total lack of humility is everywhere.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
You are right. That particular arrogant male voice with its total lack of humility is everywhere.
Yeah! Keep it in your pants, Pauline Kael
0 x

Rutabaga

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah! Keep it in your pants, Pauline Kael
Opinionated women were rather in vogue in 1972, it's true. How times change eh?
0 x

Iris

0 x