TV/Streaming shows

Ephemera and whimsy
The Real Ravenhurst

Re: TV/Streaming shows

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 2 years ago

Iris wrote:
2 years ago
And predictable safe smug satire like Coldwar Steve, Steve Bell and that shouty sweary man whose videos sometimes pop up on here?
I take it you're not bothered about borrowing my CWS jigsaw then? I definitely wouldn't describe Bell as either smug or safe - the Guardian's been spiking or apologising for his cartoons on and off for years, but it's to their credit that they have continued to publish his work. I'm guessing the other person you're referring to is Jonathan Pie, in which case we are in agreement - I do find him both smug and safe. I thought it was amusing the first few times I saw it but it quicky became tiresome.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 2 years ago

It just seems like classic whataboutism to me, which is confusing as I am used to seeing it only used to defend something. @@Iris, you aren't defending Deadringers, are you?
0 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Joan wrote:
2 years ago
It just seems like classic whataboutism to me, which is confusing as I am used to seeing it only used to defend something. @@Iris, you aren't defending Deadringers, are you?
It's hardly beyond the pale. It probably started off better. I thought The Public Sector Boromir Requirement gag was funny.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

The Real Ravenhurst wrote:
2 years ago
It's hardly beyond the pale. It probably started off better. I thought The Public Sector Boromir Requirement gag was funny.
Whataboutism seems to last resort of the die hard fan to defend the indefensible. While I'd be surprised is Deadringers has many die hard fans, it's not indefensible. So it just strikes me as odd.
0 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Joan wrote:
2 years ago
Whataboutism seems to last resort of the die hard fan to defend the indefensible. While I'd be surprised is Deadringers has many die hard fans, it's not indefensible. So it just strikes me as odd.
I've already been responsible for introducing you to Naked Attraction. For that I am sorry. But I honestly don't think it's a problem if some folk enjoy Dead Ringers, even if I reckon it's past it. Mrs Brown's Boys, on the other hand...
1 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 2 years ago

As it happens I didn't hear the Dead Ringers skits as undermining the premise of intimacy co-ordinators - which is an entirely admirable one - but as taking them for granted and riffing on what might happen if they were extended into inappropriate areas. If they'd wanted to undermine the concept they had the perfect opportunity, which I don't believe they took - they have a regular sketch based on the Northern Irish "teenagers shagging" BBC series from last year (sorry, I can't remember the name) - which itself undermines the inevitable fascination of TV producers with naked young people having sex. I enjoy Dead Ringers because it makes me laugh, which must be the primary aim of a comedy radio show - and failure to make me laugh is the main reason I've stopped listening to the News Quiz now that Andy "I'm the star" Zaltzmann has taken over.

I don't think my comments were whataboutery - I read TRR as making a definition of something she'd really rather like put out to grass, and I was observing that it was quite a subjective decision. I'll stand by my identification of Steve Bell as safe - the only reason he's still employed by the Guardian (even on a reduced basis) is because the editor, correctly judging by the letters pages after his downsizing, realised that he's got a substantial fan base who like him because he safely expresses what they are thinking.
0 x

Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack » 2 years ago

Has anyone watched Ted Lasso yet? After hearing it was good, I gave it the shawshank redemption treatment, by never being in the mood to watch it. I’ve also gone off football recently which doesn’t help . I finally gave it a go.

It’s lovely! strange word for it but it’s just a solid feel good show which has me smiling all the time, fortunately there are few actual moments of football, focusing on the relationships between the team and management with Ted in the centre. It’s a very positive show which is refreshing.

I have a bit of a man crush on Ted too.
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 2 years ago

I've not heard of that one whiskey, where will I find it?
0 x

Whiskeyjack

Sonic Budgie wrote:
2 years ago
I've not heard of that one whiskey, where will I find it?
It’s on Appletv which is probably why. The guardian hated it but I stand by my opinion, it’s the only one I have!
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I've been recommended it, but I can't justify any more streaming services.
0 x

Whiskeyjack

Joan wrote:
2 years ago
I've been recommended it, but I can't justify any more streaming services.
Yeah I think we are almost at the stage we were with cable services. One positive is that we can cancel and restart these month to month and aren’t tied into a Contract.

Have you used up your Apple free trial yet?
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 2 years ago

I've not tried apple, anything else worth having on it?
0 x

Whiskeyjack

Sonic Budgie wrote:
2 years ago
I've not tried apple, anything else worth having on it?
I really enjoyed For all mankind which is a what if the Russians got to the moon scenario. Another enjoyable one which resulted in the continuation of space exploration beyond what actually happened and, inadvertently, female astronauts much sooner then in our reality.

but to be honest I haven’t delved too deeply on Apple TV, I just had a year free a some point and I have continued it for season 2 of Ted lasso. I may well cancel it till season three of for all mankind.
1 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 2 years ago

Whiskeyjack wrote:
2 years ago
I’ve also gone off football recently which doesn’t help
That sounds awful.
0 x

Whiskeyjack

LowlifeDes wrote:
2 years ago
That sounds awful.
It’s great actually! A loss used to ruin the day, now it barely registers.
2 x