TV/Streaming shows

Ephemera and whimsy
Rutabaga

Re: TV/Streaming shows

Post by Rutabaga » 3 years ago

Nostalgia in lockdown has got the better of me. I don't do streaming, but I have a dvd player, and am midway through the entire run of The Good Wife. To be followed by Six Feet Under.
1 x

Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack » 3 years ago

Mandaloron season 2 is coming October 20th, I know its not everyones cup of tea but Im looking forward to it. Its not easy to follow John Williams but the theme is great, by Ludwig Göransson who has also done the soundtrack for TENET.

0 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 3 years ago

Sonic Budgie wrote:
3 years ago
Ah right, nearly through it then.
Please understand that my endorsement will mean that you will of course absolutely hate the second series, I apologise in advance for that.
The second season was excellent. Different and more developed. Not sure how they could resolve things into a 3rd season though without it getting a bit Scrappy Do.

The music was fantastic throughout. I understand why now that I've looked at the history of the comic book.
1 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 3 years ago

I've just finished watching Normal People, which is available on iPlayer. Adapted from Sally Rooney's novel, it didn't seem altogether promising - a clichéd coming of age story featuring two attractive young people who shag a lot. But it's so much better than that: the story repeatedly plays with those clichés and the two lead actors are utterly mesmerising. Recommended.
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 3 years ago

Whiskeyjack wrote:
3 years ago
Mandaloron season 2 is coming October 20th, I know its not everyones cup of tea but Im looking forward to it. Its not easy to follow John Williams but the theme is great, by Ludwig Göransson who has also done the soundtrack for TENET.

Yeah, I found it all a bit underwhelming. Started off thinking it was going to be a cracker then went a bit meh in my opinion. I would imagine I'll watch the second series, but it's not high up my list to be honest.
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 3 years ago

Mister Paul wrote:
3 years ago
The second season was excellent. Different and more developed. Not sure how they could resolve things into a 3rd season though without it getting a bit Scrappy Do.

The music was fantastic throughout. I understand why now that I've looked at the history of the comic book.
Phew, that's a relief.
Third series could be more difficult you're right. But you've potentially got the back story for Dad Hargreeves and Lila too.
Quite right about the music though, fabulous.
0 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 3 years ago

Sonic Budgie wrote:
3 years ago
Yeah, I found it all a bit underwhelming. Started off thinking it was going to be a cracker then went a bit meh in my opinion. I would imagine I'll watch the second series, but it's not high up my list to be honest.
That's what I thought.
1 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 3 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
3 years ago
Nostalgia in lockdown has got the better of me. I don't do streaming, but I have a dvd player, and am midway through the entire run of The Good Wife. To be followed by Six Feet Under.
I loved Six Feet Under. I have favourite deaths.
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 3 years ago

The Real Ravenhurst wrote:
3 years ago
I loved Six Feet Under. I have favourite deaths.
And it had the best opening sequence and music. I didn't see all that many after the first series, so I'm really looking forward to winter evening viewing.
1 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 2 years ago

I was enjoying The Pursuit of Love, before I read Hadley Freeman in today's Guardian which makes me feel modestly pleased that I was enjoying it.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... dApp_Other
1 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 2 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
2 years ago
I was enjoying The Pursuit of Love, before I read Hadley Freeman in today's Guardian which makes me feel modestly pleased that I was enjoying it.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... dApp_Other
Not seen any of it at time of writing. I like Freeman and I agree with her general point here, but I still think her insistence, which she is doubling down on here, that Sex & the City is as good as The Sopranos is mental. There are two things arising from the cultural belief that men and women are fundamentally different that are both true yet pull in different directions. The first is that things by, for or about women are undervalued because they are by, for or about women. The second is that men get better stuff, and get to do and make better stuff, because they have access to it and are taught that it is theirs. The whole point of separate spheres is that women get to inhabit the inferior one. I'm wildly oversimplifying to make a point, of course, but for me SATC falls squarely into the category of depressing liberal sexism that we are asked to applaud as feminist or empowering just because women watch it or like it or are responsible for it.

Anyway, sorry about the slight rant, but I really hate SATC. In case that isn't obvious.
2 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 2 years ago

I have never watched SATC. Reading Hadley Freeman, that makes me feel like a less good person; reading you, it makes me feel perhaps not such a bad person....

Edit: I've only ever watched a couple of episodes of the Sopranos either, so it probably just makes me a culturally limited person.
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 2 years ago

I never took to SATC, largely because it dawned on me very early on that it was based on a trick - superficially about a bunch of fantastically independent, sexually liberated feminists, it was actually just the same old boring 'ladies in search of their true princes' romance, but spiced with a bit of naughty talk. See also the ghastly and unfunny Bridget Jones franchise.

As TRR puts it, more succinctly, "the category of depressing liberal sexism that we are asked to applaud as feminist or empowering just because women watch it or like it or are responsible for it".
1 x

The Real Ravenhurst

JohnToo wrote:
2 years ago
I have never watched SATC. Reading Hadley Freeman, that makes me feel like a less good person; reading you, it makes me feel perhaps not such a bad person....

Edit: I've only ever watched a couple of episodes of the Sopranos either, so it probably just makes me a culturally limited person.
I've sort of been counting on being able to watch both good stuff and terrible stuff on the telly without it having much impact on whether I am a good or a bad person. I mean, I am a bad person, obvs, but I doubt it's because I have more than once got back from the pub and watched a whole episode of Naked Attraction, which is really bad. I even watched 10 minutes of The Masked Singer once, but I submit that a panel containing Jonathan Ross and Davina McCall chanting 'take it off' at someone in a pharoah costume who turns out to be Alan Johnson has a compulsive, nightmarish fascination that only an actual saint could resist.
2 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Rutabaga wrote:
2 years ago
it dawned on me very early on that it was based on a trick - superficially about a bunch of fantastically independent, sexually liberated feminists, it was actually just the same old boring 'ladies in search of their true princes' romance, but spiced with a bit of naughty talk. See also the ghastly and unfunny Bridget Jones franchise.
Yes that's exacly it!
0 x