TV/Streaming shows

Ephemera and whimsy
LowlifeDes

Re: TV/Streaming shows

Post by LowlifeDes » 3 years ago

Mister Paul wrote:
3 years ago
We watched some of One Man, Two Guvners. I don't know whether it doesn't translate to TV or is just rubbish, but it was rubbish.
You were probably expecting it to be as good as the car insurance adverts, and bound to be disappointed.
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 3 years ago

I saw an online streaming of Wise Children theatre company's version of Angela Carter's Wise Children, which was a joyous, raucous hoot.
1 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 3 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
3 years ago
I saw an online streaming of Wise Children theatre company's version of Angela Carter's Wise Children, which was a joyous, raucous hoot.
You write those one-line reviews on the posters, don't you?
5 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 3 years ago

Mister Paul wrote:
3 years ago
You write those one-line reviews on the posters, don't you?
It was good.
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 3 years ago

Mister Paul wrote:
3 years ago
We watched some of One Man, Two Guvners. I don't know whether it doesn't translate to TV or is just rubbish, but it was rubbish.
We loved it. In the shock of week two and after the madness of early March it was the first time I laughed out loud for ages.

We've also enjoyed the Covent Garden Gloriana and the Glyndebourne Seraglio. At some stage I want to catch up on a couple of bits of Monteverdi, but after a tough day at work Jonathan Creek is more my level at the moment.
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 3 years ago

Iris wrote:
3 years ago
We loved it. In the shock of week two and after the madness of early March it was the first time I laughed out loud for ages.

We've also enjoyed the Covent Garden Gloriana and the Glyndebourne Seraglio. At some stage I want to catch up on a couple of bits of Monteverdi, but after a tough day at work Jonathan Creek is more my level at the moment.
I think that one of the reasons that live theatre doesn't translate well to film for me is that it reveals how much the actors are, well, "acting", in the specific and limited sense of speaking up, speaking slowly, exaggerating gestures, etc. That's necessary in a theatre and we absorb it, but on our TV sets, we're used to the more naturalistic presentation in film and TV. Whereas, I wonder if, opera being a stylised rather than naturalistic genre to start with, we're more accepting of that, so it translates better?
1 x

Iris

Personally I got used to the theatrical *acting* pretty quickly. That might be because I'm used to the artifice of opera.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

10 minutes into S1E1 of Space Force...

Post by Joan » 3 years ago

...and I want to slash my wrists.

Should I persist? Lisa Kudrow appearing in the publicity but not making the opening credits should have been sufficient warning.
0 x

Mister Paul

Re: 10 minutes into S1E1 of Space Force...

Joan wrote:
3 years ago

Should I persist? Lisa Kudrow appearing in the publicity but not making the opening credits should have been sufficient warning.
We're going to persist, but haven't moved past episode 1 yet. They've tried to build too many characters too quickly.
0 x

Mister Paul

Anyway, I'll say it again. Brassic. Crude, rude, hilarious and beautiful all at the same time.
1 x

Rutabaga

The Salisbury Poisonings has been very impressive, I thought. Last part at 9pm tonight.
0 x

Whiskeyjack

Re: 10 minutes into S1E1 of Space Force...

Post by Whiskeyjack » 3 years ago

Joan wrote:
3 years ago

Given the slating it’s gotten, it’s better than I expected. I’ve only watched one episode though and I have Kokomo stuck in my head.
To be honest though, If the first ten minutes had you contemplating your options I’m not sure the rest will change your mind.
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 3 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
3 years ago
The Salisbury Poisonings has been very impressive, I thought. Last part at 9pm tonight.
We're enjoying it a lot too (watched eps 1&2 so far). And it's not hard to see why (apart from some good writing and acting): public health officials as heroes; recommendations to take far-reaching early action pretty unhesitatingly adopted despite the public impact, and seen to have paid off; intelligent, thoughtful, decisive senior commanders; absence of politicians; "Whitehall" interferers sent packing; human touch preserved throughout in contacts with the public; and a potential massive public health crisis largely contained. I suspect that watching it for us serves a similar function to right-wingers watching the Battle of Britain or the Longest Day.
1 x

Rutabaga

JohnToo wrote:
3 years ago
We're enjoying it a lot too (watched eps 1&2 so far). And it's not hard to see why (apart from some good writing and acting): public health officials as heroes; recommendations to take far-reaching early action pretty unhesitatingly adopted despite the public impact, and seen to have paid off; intelligent, thoughtful, decisive senior commanders; absence of politicians; "Whitehall" interferers sent packing; human touch preserved throughout in contacts with the public; and a potential massive public health crisis largely contained. I suspect that watching it for us serves a similar function to right-wingers watching the Battle of Britain or the Longest Day.
Yes indeed. And watching with both the benefit of hindsight and knowledge of current conditions, the early scenes of Nick Bailey kissing his children and fetching a glass of water, etc etc, were excruciating. All the more so for being quietly understated in the acting and directing.
1 x

Iris

Staged. Michael Sheen and David Tennant and friends playing versions of themselves meeting over VC. It's funny, each episode is short and born out of great affection between all the actors.

That, plus Jonathan Creek. Even the very early episodes have aged quite well.
1 x