Art News

Ephemera and whimsy
jollygoodthen

Re: Art News

Post by jollygoodthen » 2 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
DSC00348.JPG

The Dorothea Tanning exhibition at Tate Modern was absolutely worth a visit. I've always liked her work, but now I realise that I only really knew about part of it. As well as her early meticulously painted little oils beloved of the Surrealists, and the soft fabric constructions that are strangely disturbing, she also made huge dreamy canvases that reveal more and more details the more you look at them. She seems to have lived a happy and very creative life (I had forgotten that she was married to Max Ernst), and she died at 101!

DSC00333.JPG
I know this was two years ago, but it almost made me cry. I really miss cycling in London flitting about from museum to museum.

As if
2 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 2 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
2 years ago
If you're having a bit of a bad day this guy is the perfect antidote - what a street art hero. He paints exquisite miniatures on discarded chewing gum, all commemorating people and events that have been requested by passers-by. And he does all sorts of other inspiring stuff as well. And he's got an antique Pashley, apparently. (You can bung him a coffee fiver through the link at the end of the article.)
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... ben-wilson

Is it just me or does he look like Tony Robinson In the top photo)?

0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 2 years ago

Regulator wrote:
2 years ago
Is it just me or does he look like Tony Robinson In the top photo)?
He does a bit, but I think he's in a different league altogether.
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 2 years ago

jollygoodthen wrote:
2 years ago
I know this was two years ago, but it almost made me cry. I really miss cycling in London flitting about from museum to museum.

As if
Dry your eyes!

I did venture to London in September, albeit sans bike, to catch the Paula Rego exhibition at Tate Britain while there was still time. It was tremendous.
DSC02263.JPG
1 x

jollygoodthen

Post by jollygoodthen » 2 years ago

There are desk jobs, and there are desk jobs
Rutabaga wrote:
2 years ago
Dry your eyes!
Sometimes I try to cheer myself up by scrolling my scrapbook. I’ve visited the big 4 (BM/V&A/Natural History/Science) in excess of a thousand times now, which you'd think would be enough to satisfy...
3 x