Administrator

Luke Perry

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

😢
0 x

Rocky

Re: Luke Perry

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

Sad - far too young, even though I'm not familiar with his work.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Beverley Hills 90210 was a favourite guilty pleasure in the early 90s. Perry was Dylan, the introspective bad boy. It needs to be said that I was too old to be in the demographic that show was aimed for, but that just makes it worse. When a teen idol who you were too old to legitimately fancy dies, that makes you feel ancient. (though not as ancient as Ralph Fiennes' inaugural show as M).
Perry was in his mid twenties then, which I may have known, but I was still too old for the angsty poetical teenage character he portrayed. I don't think I every fancied him, though I could. I always liked him. I always liked everyone on 90210. It felt like they were doing a ballet to entrance me.

He was also the romantic lead in Buffy, the Vampire Slayer movie; I was the only person in the world (this is true!) who liked it. I liked the way he needed to be rescued by Buffy, because he was just a guy so had no resistance to uber vampires played by Rutger Hauer, or even lesser ones played by Peewee Herman. She could defeat them because she was a slayer, and neither of them saw this as an impediment. Plus Perry was super cute, even without the angst.

Earlier I googled him. The results are not pretty…
Screenshot_20190305-170758_1.png
Reflecting on how a death helps someone "win the internet" is just obscene. I googled Hank's story, and it's lovely and simple and charming, and reflects what we all do when someone we know dies: remember our interactions with them.
Screenshot_20190305-170753_1.png
This one is possibly worse. Someone dies, so you send your papps out to see if you can find any of their famous friends mourning. It's beyond creepy.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

The surfer is 100% not Perry. I doesn't even look much like him. I won't admit to being fooled by it, because the whole show was artiface. That moment would not have stood out.
0 x