The thread for recommending films

Ephemera and whimsy
Rutabaga

The thread for recommending films

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

OK, I'll start. I saw this today, "Woman at War", an Icelandic/Ukrainian co-production that is described as a "black comedy", but I think it is so much more. It's an eco-activism fairytale really, full of black humour and female power, with a really interesting musical accompaniment by an Icelandic hipster trio and a trio of Ukrainian folk singers who also take part in the action. I loved it in so many ways, but it also asks questions that aren't easy to answer, such as what to do when choosing the right thing to do involves damaging other people along the way. I came away feeling a bit haunted by the film really, and I recommend it very highly.
3 x

Rocky

Re: The thread for recommending films

Post by Rocky » 4 years ago

Thanks Rutabaga....nice review, I'll see if I can catch up with it.

My film is Red Joan (!!), which I saw a couple of weeks back. Judy Dench was stunning, as usual. Trevor Nunn directs. It is based on part reality and part fiction. Set between the 1940s/50s and present day and is about the interrogation of an old woman for being a Russian spy. I am fascinated by the nuclear secrets stuff and the motivation to betray one's country. It explores all those questions about the morality of scientific discovery and the best way to handle a nuclear deterrent (some of it reminded me of Ray Monk's book Inside The Centre about Robert Oppenheimer). There are some stunning shots of Cambridge. The everyday sexism of the times, particularly in academic circles, runs through the narrative. The critics haven't been particularly kind about the film but I'd thoroughly recommend it.
1 x