Meanwhile...

Ephemera and whimsy
Lullabelle

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
I've been generally avoiding sugar for a few weeks as well as refined carbs and starchy carbs; no artificial sweeteners or sugar alcohols; minimum processed food; no more alcohol 'til February etc. You get the picture.

So this morning I went to change a light bulb. It was one of the early low-wattage bulbs, a compact florescent. It has a screw fitting, but I thought it was a bayonet and pushed it in. It broke in my hands and I breathed in a snootful of mercury vapour. I could hear the laughter of the irony pixie ringing in my ears.

Or maybe that was the mercury reaching my brain.
Oh my gosh, how is your hand?
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Lullabelle wrote:
4 years ago
Better than we were thanks but still a bit poorly, how are you?
Asides from the mercury poisoning, great!

(I am not really poisoned!)
Lullabelle wrote:
4 years ago
Oh my gosh, how is your hand?
The glass just snapped off cleanly, so it took me a few seconds to realise what had happened. No damage at all to my hands.
0 x

Lullabelle

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Asides from the mercury poisoning, great!

(I am not really poisoned!)
The glass just snapped off cleanly, so it took me a few seconds to realise what had happened. No damage at all to my hands.
Good news :)
1 x

Lullabelle

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
I am out of yoghurt, so had to soak my oats in milk, like an animal.

#firstworldproblems
Do you use apple juice as well?
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Lullabelle wrote:
4 years ago
Do you use apple juice as well?
No. I don't generally have juice in the fridge. I do grate an apple into it sometimes.
0 x

Lullabelle

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
No. I don't generally have juice in the fridge. I do grate an apple into it sometimes.
We bought some museli and it suggested apple juice, neither of us are keen so just wondered if it was necessary.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Lullabelle wrote:
4 years ago
We bought some museli and it suggested apple juice, neither of us are keen so just wondered if it was necessary.
Ah! No, it's not. I keep it really simple, just mix some oatmeal and yoghurt together. Wait at least 10 minutes, or overnight or longer. In the morning I add more yoghurt to get it to the consistency I like. I mostly flavour it with something sweet, eg grated apple and coconut, jam, lemon curd, dry fruit, persimmons etc etc or just a little sugar, and sometimes I have it plain. If you start with muesli, it shouldn't need anything else.

Apple juice would also sweeten it, but it's almost pure sugar, and nutritionally no better than granulated sugar. I wouldn't bother.

(I'm skipping breakfast at the moment :'( )
0 x

Lullabelle

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Ah! No, it's not. I keep it really simple, just mix some oatmeal and yoghurt together. Wait at least 10 minutes, or overnight or longer. In the morning I add more yoghurt to get it to the consistency I like. I mostly flavour it with something sweet, eg grated apple and coconut, jam, lemon curd, dry fruit, persimmons etc etc or just a little sugar, and sometimes I have it plain. If you start with muesli, it shouldn't need anything else.

Apple juice would also sweeten it, but it's almost pure sugar, and nutritionally no better than granulated sugar. I wouldn't bother.

For sweet we would use honey, fruit would be raspberries of choice.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Perfect. That's why I listed so many options, so you could see the possibilities.

It's a great breakfast IMHO, has become very trendy recently ("overnight oats"). I don't like the claggy, wallpaper-paste quality of cooked porridge, so it's nearly the only way I can eat oats.

Well, that and ANZAC biscuits!
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Perfect. That's why I listed so many options, so you could see the possibilities.

It's a great breakfast IMHO, has become very trendy recently ("overnight oats"). I don't like the claggy, wallpaper-paste quality of cooked porridge, so it's nearly the only way I can eat oats.

Well, that and ANZAC biscuits!

I had overnight oats this morning, with milled flaxseed and chia seed mixed in. Topped with blueberries and cherries (thanks the Lord for frozen fruit). :P
2 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

The most 'Hollywood' thing I've ever seen....

1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I just threw up a little in my mouth.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I saw the cutest thing on the weekend - a tot on a balance bike, with drop bars!
0 x

Lullabelle

Since the 1st day of this year I have walked 21.87 miles.
0 x

Lullabelle

Joan wrote:
4 years ago

I have to eat something in the morning, cannot start the day without. The working week is usually a mug of tea with cereal and milk thrown in a bowl, not capeable of doing much else first thing.
0 x