Meanwhile...

Ephemera and whimsy
JohnToo

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

Whereas I am at Hong Kong airport - 9 hours Melbourne - HK just done, 12 hours HK - Heathrow coming up. Right at this moment, I don't care how beautiful the farther hemisphere of this globe is, I'm planning on confining my pleasure seeking to places a little bit closer 😀
1 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
4 years ago
Whereas I am at Hong Kong airport - 9 hours Melbourne - HK just done, 12 hours HK - Heathrow coming up. Right at this moment, I don't care how beautiful the farther hemisphere of this globe is, I'm planning on confining my pleasure seeking to places a little bit closer 😀
I had a 9 hour stop over in HK airport last October so you have my sympathy.
1 x

Dunckel

I got my breakdown cover renewal letter from the AA, the first paragraph thanked me for my loyalty, the last paragraph told me that they were putting my charge by £108. I enjoyed phoning them up to cancel my renewal and refusing to give them a reason why I was leaving whilst the operator tried several approaches to weedle a response from me so she could head into her pitch and try to change my mind.

It is annoying that all the breakdown companies do the same thing, sliding the cost up and hoping you either don't notice or can't be bothered.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Dunckel wrote:
4 years ago
I'm on my way.

It's not just the beauty of the place, it's also the people, so warm, open and relaxed. I can't wait to return.
They do have an above average number of coups, especially if you measure it on a per capita basis.
0 x

Dunckel

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
They do have an above average number of coups, especially if you measure it on a per capita basis.
Fiji does have an interesting history, and there is no hiding from the fact that they were screwed over by the British, the legacy of which still echoes.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Don't google "blackbirding", please!
0 x

Dunckel

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Don't google "blackbirding", please!
That will be the one. When the British ripped up great swathes of Fijian land and turned it to a sugar monoculture they found that the native Fijians didn't make very good labourers, so they imported thousands of Indians to do the dirty work.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

15 minutes left of gun violence awareness day. Use it wisely.

(I'm using it share with 20 or so forum friends. I'll do better next year.)
1 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 4 years ago

Well.....we are back on the main island. <sobs>
0 x

Dunckel

Rocky wrote:
4 years ago
Well.....we are back on the main island. <sobs>
Are you coming home? Both times we have been there I was so sad to leave, I still miss the place.
0 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 4 years ago

Dunckel wrote:
4 years ago
Are you coming home? Both times we have been there I was so sad to leave, I still miss the place.
We’ve two days in Nadi before heading over to Sydney where the Prof is doing some work. I can cope with Australia but it’s not as good as Fiji.
1 x

Dunckel

Rocky wrote:
4 years ago
We’ve two days in Nadi before heading over to Sydney where the Prof is doing some work. I can cope with Australia but it’s not as good as Fiji.
Sydney, not a bad second best is it.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

The fallow deer in Bushy Park are mutating. They used to be all Bambi-esque in their markings, but now they are all the colours of a beige rainbow, from so white they might be albino, to almost-black.

(sorry for the photo quality, it's faun season, so I didn't want to get any closer)
Attachments
IMG_20190609_142036796yy.jpg
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Something is happening in a riverside park in Strawberry Hill. The 3
Is rapid response ambulance cars, an ambulance, van load of police, herts search and rescue crew, RNLI launch, helicopter etcetera etcetera
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

You know that thing where you are balancing your thirty-something-piece mixed imperial and metric socket set on the edge of the bench in order to replace the one socket you've just used, and the whole things falls upended on the sawdust-covered garage floor, and when you eventually replace them all, lovingly sorting the 1/2, 17/32 and 7/16 into the right order, you find there's still one gap?

That.
5 x