Meanwhile...

Ephemera and whimsy
ransos

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by ransos » 4 years ago

Tomorrow, I'll be walking the last 19 miles of the Cotswold Way. Dinner is booked at Bath's only Michelin starred restaurant, and the weather is set fair. I'm really quite excited.
6 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

I arrived at midday. The last few hours were done in the pouring rain. 20.6 km in 3h57m with 327m elevation gain.

Just booked into hostel and an waiting to get into my room at 1.30pm. Having a quick beer and empanada.

I can’t get my compostela until tomorrow as they are full today. I will have to get up early and queue for a number.
4 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 4 years ago

I'm enjoying a malted recovery drink.
2 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Long water, Hampton Court.

IMG_20190914_180716150_HDR.jpg

Yup, if I was Henry, I would have f'ed over Wolsey to get my hands on this .

Edit: if it's not clear, Hampton Court is the building directly in the centre at the far end of the water. But full disclosure, I don't know if Long Water was there when Henry took over this beautiful palace.
Based on geograohy, you might know. Is Windsor Great Park worth a visit? I've finally got round to reading Bill Bryson and he seems impressed.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ransos wrote:
4 years ago
Good man! Very import to take care of such things ...
1 x

Dunckel

ransos wrote:
4 years ago
It's a bit warm for Horlicks.
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

Dunckel wrote:
4 years ago
Based on geograohy, you might know. Is Windsor Great Park worth a visit? I've finally got round to reading Bill Bryson and he seems impressed.
It depends on what you want to get out of it. It's a lovely, if hilly, way to ride from Windsor towards Ascot or Virginia Water, for points south. It's a fairly manicured park, even more so than Richmond. The estate village is what you'd expect of a Royal estate village and still has a post office and a shop. There are some decent views of the castle. But it can be under the Heathrow flight path.

The Savile Garden is well worth a visit if you like that sort of thing - there are some decent greenhouses. Not cheap, if memory serves...
2 x

Dunckel

Iris wrote:
4 years ago
It depends on what you want to get out of it. It's a lovely, if hilly, way to ride from Windsor towards Ascot or Virginia Water, for points south. It's a fairly manicured park, even more so than Richmond. The estate village is what you'd expect of a Royal estate village and still has a post office and a shop. There are some decent views of the castle. But it can be under the Heathrow flight path.

The Savile Garden is well worth a visit if you like that sort of thing - there are some decent greenhouses. Not cheap, if memory serves...
Thank you, I was thinking of walking in the park rather than cycling. I lived in Gerrards Cross until I was 18 and haven't been back to the Chilterns and Thames Valley since. I'm considering a long weekend around Beaconsfield, checking out the places I've not seen for 35 years and taking in a couple of the tourist sites ( Yes, Beaconscot obviously). I don't recall ever visiting Windsor Great Park as a kid though.
0 x

Iris

The park is big enough for a decent walk, which will be more peaceful than most places in the area unless the planes are on the wrong route. Another place you might consider is Cliveden, which as well as being an overpriced hotel is a very decent National Trust park, and slightly further from Heathrow.

I did go to Bekonscot as a child on a bus trip as a young child. Despite often going to the Beaconsfield Waitrose next door we haven't been to the model village since moving within 6 miles nearly 20 years ago...
1 x

Dunckel

Do you know what, I've never noticed the spelling of Bekonscot before, I guess because I have never written it down.
0 x

Dunckel

Oh and by the way, the President of the richest and one of the most influential countries on the planet is doing this tonight.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Some of the best Economic Numbers our Country has ever experienced are happening right now. This is despite a Crooked and Demented Deep State, and a probably illegal Democrat/Fake News Media Partnership the likes of which the world has never seen. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href=" 21, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I’ve got the paperwork sorted:

CA9DE53A-29BB-4FB3-96AC-FEEF90739196.jpeg
9A10BA0C-57DA-435A-81B4-8833F132B037.jpeg
5 x

Iris

I'd take it back and complain if I were you - señor Pérez López (or his secretary) can't spell septembre in Latin. And I'm disappointed your surname doesn't get a translation.
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

Well done Greg.
0 x

Dunckel

Not to get too mundane, but it's turned a bit Autumn out there.
1 x