Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

Rocky wrote:
5 years ago
Anyone volunteering to help this guy?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-47828346

@The Real Ravenhurst ?

@LowlifeDes ?

Edit: he’s got 9,000 cans of beer to get rid of....
That's the special burden of someone with the Collecting Gene. If you acquire more than two or three objects in the same arcane category, it inevitably becomes A Collection and you have to spend years trying to find every single exemplar. I suffered for years, but had an epiphany brought on by moving house and discovering a loft full of stuff I had forgotten I even owned - now I have to try very hard to resist the Collecting urge.
3 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
5 years ago
That's the special burden of someone with the Collecting Gene. If you acquire more than two or three objects in the same arcane category, it inevitably becomes A Collection and you have to spend years trying to find every single exemplar. I suffered for years, but had an epiphany brought on by moving house and discovering a loft full of stuff I had forgotten I even owned - now I have to try very hard to resist the Collecting urge.
Yes, we has that with records and books.....and when we moved from Finchley after 23 years in the same house, it was an awful task to decide which we needed and which to pass on to the charity shops given our new house was half the size.
Last edited by Rocky on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

I got rid of almost all of it, and found the experience cathartic and very rewarding. I did keep back the odd thing, but I now I find myself thinking "Why did I keep that?" and sloughing those things off as well.
0 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 5 years ago

IMG_20190407_115554_419.jpg
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

I've updated from Oreo to Pie. Everything is slightly different 😟
0 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 5 years ago

Joan wrote:
5 years ago
I assume that's a phone thing.
1 x

Rocky

Dunckel wrote:
5 years ago
Sounds like food to me.....yum yum
2 x

Dunckel

BBC4 tonight at 10pm is Wayne McGregor's work Atomos, scored by A Winged Victory for the Sullen. I've seen it live and also sat infront of AWVFTS in a church in Leicester when they performed it. So looking forward to seeing it on the TV.

I think I might be grown up.
3 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Dunckel wrote:
5 years ago
Yeah. Android. Releases are named after sweet treats (eg Kit Kat, Marshmallow, Ice cream sandwich etc etc).

The next release, Q, is as yet unnamed. I am fascinated. A quick google finds few good suggestions (some Spanish/Portuguese). The best was Quality Street. I also liked Quik, but you would have to be as old as me to remember when it was called that.

1 x

Dunckel

Joan wrote:
5 years ago
Yeah. Android. Releases are named after sweet treats (eg Kit Kat, Marshmallow, Ice cream sandwich etc etc).

The next release, Q, is as yet unnamed. I am fascinated. A quick google finds few good suggestions (some Spanish/Portuguese). The best was Quality Street. I also liked Quik, but you would have to be as old as me to remember when it was called that.

I am as old as you, we used to have strawberry flavour Quik, as a treat we used to have it with a dollop of vanilla flavour ice cream that would melt into it.

Note: I include the word 'flavour' to acknowledge that neither product had ever seen a natural ingredient, such was the way in the 1970s.
1 x

Rocky

I loved strawberry Quik........whitens the teeth, strengthens the gums and makes life a pleasure.
1 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 5 years ago

I don't remember it being called anything other than Nesquick.
0 x

Rocky

LowlifeDes wrote:
5 years ago
Actually you are right......although my father used to call it ‘carp’ or something like that.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

LowlifeDes wrote:
5 years ago
I was going to say you are either younger than me, or much older than me with a failing memory.

Turns out neither is relevant. Wikipedia says it was always Nesquik in Europe. The name went worldwide in 1999, which means that only the youngest Google staff wouldn't know it.

I reckon it will be Quik.
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 5 years ago

Joan wrote:
5 years ago
My phone appears to be Oreo but my tablet is Marshmallow. I now feel that I ought to do something about this.
0 x