Broken Barrel Adjuster Screw

Everything to do with cycling
The Real Ravenhurst

Broken Barrel Adjuster Screw

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 2 weeks ago

Been tinkering with the Kaffenback post-wipeout, and it's looking a bit sorry for itself. I thought I'd be doing a few simple things - replacing cables and suchlike, but it turns out there other issues lurking under the grime. The most annoying of these is that I've somehow managed to break off the barrel-adjuster screw on the the front brake caliper (the TRP Spyres that have been a source of all kinds of misery from the off), leaving a chunk of it still in there. There's enough sticking out that I can get hold of it with pliers, but it appears to be made of cheese, and just bends and squashes if I attempt to turn it. Any suggestions?
0 x

LowlifeDes

Re: Broken Barrel Adjuster Screw

Post by LowlifeDes » 2 weeks ago

Spray it with GT85 and let that soak to see if that frees it. Put something that just fits through the hole to stop it from being crushed.
1 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 2 weeks ago

Find someone with a reverse thread screw extractor to go inside the cable hole.
1 x

The Real Ravenhurst

LowlifeDes wrote:
2 weeks ago
Put something that just fits through the hole to stop it from being crushed.
I've filed this under Things I Wish I'd Thought Of Before I Took The Pliers To It In The First Place.
3 x

The Real Ravenhurst

LowlifeDes wrote:
2 weeks ago
Find someone with a reverse thread screw extractor to go inside the cable hole.
That's the sort of thing Dr Evil might have. There is also a Screwfix near where I work so I guess I might find one there...
1 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 2 weeks ago

The Real Ravenhurst wrote:
2 weeks ago
I've filed this under Things I Wish I'd Thought Of Before I Took The Pliers To It In The First Place.
Is there access to get a screw through from underneath? That might open it up again. Then pop a screw through the top with a dab of Gorilla glue, then unwind the whole thing once the glue has set.

(I share your dislike of TRP Spyres: I've just spent a small fortune on some hydro discs to replace them)
1 x