A balloon biking attempt

Everything to do with cycling
Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

A balloon biking attempt

Post by Regulator » 5 years ago

I decided to try ‘balloonbiking’ and got some Schwalbe Big Apples for my Pinnacle Arkose, which is supposed to be able to take up to a 700x47C tyre.  The Big Apples are classed as a 700x50.

The font fitted fine.  But the rear tyre was too big and ended up wedged against the front derailleur mech.  I had a fiddle but ended up screwing up the settings, so that meant a trip to my local Evans (whose workshop is open on a Sunday).

The young (and I must say rather cute) mechanic did his best but without replacing everything- including the levers - it’s not going to be possible to run the tyre on the rear.  He measured it and it was actually 700x48 - so should really have fitted.  He reckons that although the bike is advertised as being able take up to 47, the rear can only really take up to a 42.

I’m going to keep the Big Apple on the front and I’ve got a Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour 622-42 on order for the rear.

I’ll post some piccies of the Frankenbike when I’ve got the rear tyre sorted.
Last edited by Regulator on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Fiat justitia - ruat caelum

The Real Ravenhurst

Re: A balloon biking attempt

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 5 years ago

Excellent idea.

1 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 5 years ago

I've never tried them, they strike me as being rather 'dragy' with such a large footprint on the road.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

So the changes have been made.  I've gone from a Marathon Plus Tour 37-622 front and rear to a Schwalbe Big Apple 50-622 on the front and a Marathon Plus 42-622 on the rear. It'll be interesting to see if there's any change on the comfort and rolling resistance side of things.

I'll try it out on the ride to Pilates this evening.

Photos later.
0 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 5 years ago

I'd be interested in how you get on. I bought an Arkose earlier this year - great bike, but the 37c tyres (WTB Riddlers) are a touch narrow for rocky off-road use, and I need to run higher pressures than I'd like to avoid pinch flats, which reduces grip. Ideally I'd run 45c and convert to tubeless.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ransos wrote:
5 years ago
I'd be interested in how you get on. I bought an Arkose earlier this year - great bike, but the 37c tyres (WTB Riddlers) are a touch narrow for rocky off-road use, and I need to run higher pressures than I'd like to avoid pinch flats, which reduces grip. Ideally I'd run 45c and convert to tubeless.

Which Arkose did you get? I've got the Arkose 2 and basically the biggest tyre you can get on the back (with any tread) is a 42. I'm using a Marathon Plus Tour, which has relatively good grip for off road stuff. I've had it on cinder / mud /grass with no real problems.
0 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 5 years ago

Regulator wrote:
5 years ago
ransos wrote:
5 years ago

Which Arkose did you get? I've got the Arkose 2 and basically the biggest tyre you can get on the back (with any tread) is a 42. I'm using a Marathon Plus Tour, which has relatively good grip for off road stuff. I've had it on cinder / mud /grass with no real problems.
It's a 2018 Arkose 2. Apparently the newer ones do have a bit more clearance - someone on STW reckons they can fit 45c WTB Riddlers. Maybe those tyres come up narrow.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mine was a 2017 Arkose 2 - it'll be good if the 2018 version has more clearance.
0 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

I have a Surly ECR with 3" 29+ tyres (Surly Nards - such a lovely name). It is somewhat slow on the roads and even slower off road. I love the comfort though - I run them at 15psi max and it's like cycling in my favourite armchair.
0 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 5 years ago

This thread needs some pics, Balloonistas! 🎈
0 x

Rocky

The Real Ravenhurst wrote:
5 years ago
This thread needs some pics, Balloonistas! 🎈
Voila
47984C53-24C5-467A-9F31-7A2942C9FB88.jpeg
2 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Et voila aussi...

This is what I'm lusting after but Mr R would not be happy:

Trek 1120.
1 x

Rocky

I think Mr R is being unreasonable there, Reg. Don't forget, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 5 years ago

Regulator wrote:
5 years ago

This is what I'm lusting after but Mr R would not be happy:

Trek 1120.
I'm not surprised, that rear seat looks hideously uncomfortable and the front carrier would be much too small.
0 x