I have been given approval for n+1

Everything to do with cycling
Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I have been given approval for n+1

Post by Regulator » 5 years ago

Mr R has, for some reason known only to himself, not objected to an n+1 situation occurring and the requisite tokens are sitting in my bank account.

I've decided for this n+1 I am going down the electric route. I now have to decide what I want... I want something that has a good range and can be used on tracks as well as tarmac. I'd prefer flat bar rather than drops. I've got a budget of c. £2.5k (I could possibly go to £3k).

I quite like the looks of:

Kalkhoff Integrale Advanced DI I10 10G 17AH Electric Bike
1-1501236714.jpg
or even the Kalkhoff Sahel Compact i8 17Ah
kalkhoff-sahel-compa(1).jpg
Only problem is that you do see some internet stories about issues with the Impulse motors (which are Kalkhoff specific) but they tend to be from several years ago.

There's also the Giant Quick E+ which has caught my eye (although not likely to be in stock until end of November)
MY19QuickE+_ColorA.jpg

or the Giant Explore E+1
MY19ExploreE+1GTS_ColorA.jpg
I did consider the Orbea e-Katu but discounted it as it has a very limited range.

Anyone want to throw some more suggestions into the mix?
1 x

Greg

Re: I have been given approval for n+1

Post by Greg » 5 years ago

Nice!

Black Giant is my fave
0 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

Yes, I rather like the Black Giant......or how about an e-Brompton (not the best for tracks but super fun on the roads)?
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rocky wrote:
5 years ago
Yes, I rather like the Black Giant......or how about an e-Brompton (not the best for tracks but super fun on the roads)?
The problem with the eBrompton is that the battery pack takes the place of the front bag... which makes it less useable overall, except for short distance commuting.
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 5 years ago

Does it take up the whole front bag, or leave some room for other stuff?
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

LowlifeDes wrote:
5 years ago
Does it take up the whole front bag, or leave some room for other stuff?
It leaves room for very little. Plus it's a small battery (300Wh) and it has a fairly limited range.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

Regulator wrote:
5 years ago
It leaves room for very little. Plus it's a small battery (300Wh) and it has a fairly limited range.
You could always get a rear rack - though that probably wouldn't solve the battery range problem.
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

All those examples look unattractively clunky to me. I have ridden a fair bit with people who had their normal touring-type bikes converted to electric-assist by rebuilding a wheel, which seemed to work really well but might not be a realistic option any more (I think the rules have changed?).

I think that if I had that kind of money to spend I would be looking at an electric-assist mtb. I've heard so many stories about what fun they are and I have other bikes for roads and ordinary tracks. But, as I will never have that kind of money to spare, I'm afraid I haven't researched brands or anything, so I'm probably not being very much help here really, sorry, as you were.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rutabaga wrote:
5 years ago
All those examples look unattractively clunky to me. I have ridden a fair bit with people who had their normal touring-type bikes converted to electric-assist by rebuilding a wheel, which seemed to work really well but might not be a realistic option any more (I think the rules have changed?).

I think that if I had that kind of money to spend I would be looking at an electric-assist mtb. I've heard so many stories about what fun they are and I have other bikes for roads and ordinary tracks. But, as I will never have that kind of money to spare, I'm afraid I haven't researched brands or anything, so I'm probably not being very much help here really, sorry, as you were.

I have considered an e-MTB but they seem to be either:

(a) very similar to several of the hybrids below; or,
(b) completely OTT full-sus downhill jobbies.

I want something for some lights bridleways/canal paths rather than gnarly singletrack.
0 x

Rutabaga

Regulator wrote:
5 years ago
I have considered an e-MTB but they seem to be either:

(a) very similar to several of the hybrids below; or,
(b) completely OTT full-sus downhill jobbies.

I want something for some lights bridleways/canal paths rather than gnarly singletrack.
Yeah, I get that. It would be the gnarly singletrack stuff I would enjoy - the prospect of slogging up the hills is the bit that puts me off giving it a try.
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 5 years ago

Why do you want an e-bike? They're a great solution for someone who isn't fit enough (temporarily or permanently) to ride more than 15 miles unassisted. I don't believe you are in that boat - and for the rest of us they're just very heavy bikes.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Iris wrote:
5 years ago
Why do you want an e-bike? They're a great solution for someone who isn't fit enough (temporarily or permanently) to ride more than 15 miles unassisted. I don't believe you are in that boat - and for the rest of us they're just very heavy bikes.
Does one really need a reason for n+1? ;)

As it is, due to ongoing health issues I am finding long rides - and hilly rides - a bit of a challenge. I'm hoping that an electric bike will allow me to keep the longer rides going whilst my health improves.
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Damn... I've kind of fallen for something completely different - the Genesis Longitude. Riding it was great fun!

genesis-longitude-2018-p43647-84343_image.jpg

I much prefer the green/grey 2018 frame colour than the 2019 black/blue frame.
1 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

Regulator wrote:
5 years ago
Damn... I've kind of fallen for something completely different - the Genesis Longitude. Riding it was great fun!

genesis-longitude-2018-p43647-84343_image.jpg

I much prefer the green/grey 2018 frame colour than the 2019 black/blue frame.
Looks lovely Reg, far better looking than my Surly ECR and its awful off-white colour........I think the consensus was that a fit youngster like you wasn’t quite ready for an e-bike.
1 x

Rutabaga

Rocky wrote:
5 years ago
Looks lovely Reg, far better looking than my Surly ECR and its awful off-white colour........I think the consensus was that a fit youngster like you wasn’t quite ready for an e-bike.
The stamp of approval. Philately will get you everywhere.
1 x