Last night's FNRttC

Everything to do with cycling
Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Last night's FNRttC

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

At the moment I don't have the distance in my legs (nor my soul), but am wondering if any of our members breakfasted at Shoreham Airport. If so, was it a good ride? Any tales to tell?
0 x

ransos

Re: Last night's FNRttC

Post by ransos » 5 years ago

It was rather fine: a new, enjoyable route; absence of mechanicals; and warm, dry weather. I struggled with tiredness much more than usual, I'm not sure why.
3 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 5 years ago

It was indeed fine. The route variations worked well, the weather was clement, there were no punctures or mechanicals, the scouts even seemed happy with us pitching up early. All in all, a great end of season ride. Had I had better functioning lights, it would have been even more enjoyable.
3 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 5 years ago

I grew up in wallington and my parents still live there. Wallington High Street, which is on what I guess would be called the default Fridays route out of London, was our local shopping street. An early variation in the Simon era took us past the other side of Beddington Park and Roundshaw. That, and the more recent Farthing Down, were on our list of family Sunday afternoon walks. Last night’s variation took you past the Oak’s Park, another Sunday destination. Sutton High Street, featured on at least one Simon route, was where I went when the local library didn’t have the book I wanted and I needed the central library. You (with increasingly intermittent involvement from me) are reliving my youth 😀
3 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Some posts have been moved away from the public area at the request of a participant, with whom I agree.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

JohnToo wrote:
5 years ago
Sutton High Street, featured on at least one Simon route,
I've been on at least one ride via Sutton High Street. It was filled with the most charmingly drunk young men. Some pushed their upraised hands towards us, competing to get the most high-5s, others were apparently playing frogger, where they were the frogs and we were the lorries. Luckily every "frog" crossed successfully. So, almost as hazardous as aggressive drunks, but so happy and friendly that it didn't seem so.
1 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 5 years ago

Joan wrote:
5 years ago
I've been on at least one ride via Sutton High Street. It was filled with the most charmingly drunk young men. Some pushed their upraised hands towards us, competing to get the most high-5s, others were apparently playing frogger, where they were the frogs and we were the lorries. Luckily every "frog" crossed successfully. So, almost as hazardous as aggressive drunks, but so happy and friendly that it didn't seem so.
In days when Sutton High St was more innocent, it was also the site of our local cinema, where I went to my first ever films. I can’t remember which was the actual first: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, or Those Magnificent Men. Whichever it was, it certainly seemed very adventurous to me....
1 x