Small lobbying gains or self delusion?

Everything to do with cycling
ransos

Re: Small lobbying gains or self delusion?

Post by ransos » 4 years ago

Iris wrote:
4 years ago
As long as that experience includes a lot of what you're asking for - getting people who don't currently do the thing to do it. The quotes from CUK literally say that is what he is looking to do.
As evidence, this is about as reliable as Tory manifesto support for the NHS.
2 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
4 years ago
It must have been, at least at some point.
Must it?

Even in the 1880s it was actively lobbying and taking action to make cycling accessible and safe for all.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/about/history ... y-timeline
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

ransos wrote:
4 years ago
As evidence, this is about as reliable as Tory manifesto support for the NHS.
Go on then, find some better evidence for whatever it is you are arguing for. What is it, exactly, you're arguing for, by the way?
0 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 4 years ago

Iris wrote:
4 years ago
Go on then, find some better evidence for whatever it is you are arguing for. What is it, exactly, you're arguing for, by the way?
It's generally up to those making a claim to provide the evidence to support it. I am arguing that the evidence you provided was of the motherhood and apple pie kind, signifying absolutely nothing.
0 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 4 years ago

Iris wrote:
4 years ago
Must it?

Even in the 1880s it was actively lobbying and taking action to make cycling accessible and safe for all.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/about/history ... y-timeline
There's absolutely no contradiction in those two things. The point we were trying to make in Save the CTC was that effective political action requires collective bargaining over shared interests, which are emphatically not the same thing as the rather nebulous concept of 'public benefit'.
4 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 3 years ago

Having read the latest Cycle, I was prepared to be in a generous mood, and point out (a) that we now know that the new Interim Chief Exec is in fact not only a former London cycle commuter but a Brompton user, and (b) it featured words from Chris Juden for, I think, the first time since he was sacked. But then Chris Juden himself pops up on the CUK Forum pointing out that Richard Hallett's technical advice in the same issue to run a bike with too short a chain to cope with the large chain ring-large sprocket is (in his opinion, which, as ever, I trust) downright dangerous, and the advice on spoke breakages fails to address the likely problem.
1 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 3 years ago

I'm just impressed that someone actually reads Cycle. In my house it sits on the kitchen table for weeks waiting to be read, before being put in the recycling bin during a tidy-up.
1 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 3 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
3 years ago
Having read the latest Cycle, I was prepared to be in a generous mood, and point out (a) that we now know that the new Interim Chief Exec is in fact not only a former London cycle commuter but a Brompton user, and (b) it featured words from Chris Juden for, I think, the first time since he was sacked. But then Chris Juden himself pops up on the CUK Forum pointing out that Richard Hallett's technical advice in the same issue to run a bike with too short a chain to cope with the large chain ring-large sprocket is (in his opinion, which, as ever, I trust) downright dangerous, and the advice on spoke breakages fails to address the likely problem.
I see 'the joys of solo cycling' is the cover feature this time. They are somewhere just behind The Archers when it comes to catching up with Coronavirus.
2 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 3 years ago

I'm often in the Rutabaga camp too, but I will extract it from its envelope.

On the timeline thing, print magazines do often have a long leadin. An article I wrote in the second half of March for my professional mag was finally published a couple of days ago.
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 3 years ago

As I am frequently (and unrepentantly) critical of CUK, can I just say that I actually thought Duncan Dollimore's letter to the Humber Bridge Authority was very good.
2 x