Your Ride Today

Everything to do with cycling
JohnToo

Re: Your Ride Today

Post by JohnToo » 3 years ago

20200626_181348.jpg
A very well behaved family of swans in Long Water, Home Park, Hampton Court.

We booked a timed slot for Hampton Court gardens and it was glorious - so few people* and so few aircraft.

* in the gardens. Plenty of large groups on the Thames towpath with not very much social distancing in evidence.
4 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 3 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
3 years ago
20200626_181348.jpg

A very well behaved family of swans in Long Water, Home Park, Hampton Court.

We booked a timed slot for Hampton Court gardens and it was glorious - so few people* and so few aircraft.

* in the gardens. Plenty of large groups on the Thames towpath with not very much social distancing in evidence.
ah! you were on my manor*. You should have dropped in 😂

*Have I got that right? I learned cockney from George Cole.
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 3 years ago

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
ah! you were on my manor*. You should have dropped in 😂

*Have I got that right? I learned cockney from George Cole.
Cockney?
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

LowlifeDes wrote:
3 years ago
Cockney?
Sorry, did I say George Cole? I meant Jamie Oliver.
0 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 3 years ago

IMG_20200710_125705.jpg
Incentive for mini Ransos to finish her maths...
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Someone is spoilt 😂
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Well, that's a new one...

I got tooted yesterday for not holding someone up!
The opposite lane was closed to through traffic, there were no cars in, I was going to turn right anyway and there are plenty of escape routes, so I just moved into "on coming traffic" (there was none) to let the cars behind me move faster. A few moments later a hear an angry toot, and turn to see a man gesturing because I am on the wrong side of the road...the wrong side of the road that is blocked and has no cars in it.
🤪
Some people seem to be looking for something to get angry about.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Well, that's a new one...

Post by Regulator » 3 years ago

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
I got tooted yesterday for not holding someone up!
The opposite lane was closed to through traffic, there were no cars in, I was going to turn right anyway and there are plenty of escape routes, so I just moved into "on coming traffic" (there was none) to let the cars behind me move faster. A few moments later a hear an angry toot, and turn to see a man gesturing because I am on the wrong side of the road...the wrong side of the road that is blocked and has no cars in it.
🤪
Some people seem to be looking for something to get angry about.
He was probably on his way to (or from) the anti-face covering rally at Speaker's Corner. It was quite the gammon gathering I believe...
1 x

JohnToo

Unexpected bonus on a post-lockdown long weekend away to treat one of our daughters, at a cottage on the edge of the Brecon Beacons. This is quarry access road and when they've finished work for the day they lock the gate. So you then have 5 miles of mountainous but construction-traffic-graded tarmac, guaranteed traffic free. Bliss.
20200801_170256.jpg
(The hump on the skyline is Pen-y-Fan)

Except that that at the top, the tarmac gives way to rough stone. Not the perfect terrain for Bromptons but I took satisfaction from the look on the faces of a couple of mountain bikers with all the protective gear and 2-inch-plus tyres when they met me (civvy clothes, no helmet) on my Brompton up there.
20200801_174451.jpg
6 x

JohnToo

A few days walking Up North, in the middle of which I visited my sister and BiL near Carlisle, and, leaving them mid-afternoon, with the Brompton in the boot, what else could I conceivably do but...
P1100083 ed.jpg
The last time (well, the only previous time) I was there was in 1992 when both the weather and the bike were different:

GDF 19930003.jpg
3 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 3 years ago

IMG_20200912_112734.jpg
Mendip bikepacking.
2 x

JohnToo

Back in mundane Surrey: on my way out this afternoon, the workers had just started digging a hole. On my way back, I'm guessing they'd punctured a high-pressure water main:
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-15 at 16.47.53.jpeg
Quite pleasant to cycle through on a hot afternoon, actually...
4 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 2 years ago

Cycling back at midnight from a dinner with friends in Barnes, we rocked up at Richmond Park expecting to enter through the pedestrian gates and have a glorious night time cycle through the park - only to find the gates padlocked. It's not deer culling season, is it? Anyone know if this is new policy?
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 2 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
2 years ago
Cycling back at midnight from a dinner with friends in Barnes, we rocked up at Richmond Park expecting to enter through the pedestrian gates and have a glorious night time cycle through the park - only to find the gates padlocked. It's not deer culling season, is it? Anyone know if this is new policy?
I haven't heard anything about this, their website says the pedestrian gates remain open 24 hours, and nothing in the news.

I haven't been in the park after the main gates have shut in a while, but I may do a reccy next time I am out after dark.

Was it the Sheen entrance?
1 x