Indicators

Everything to do with cycling
Greg

Indicators

Post by Greg » 5 years ago

Are these a 'good idea' or just one of those responsibility shifting things again?...

https://www.mirrorindicate.com/

[I'm inclined to go with the former but then I have an interest - tell you in a bit]
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Indicators

Post by Regulator » 5 years ago

Variations of these seem to pop up every year or so, making all sorts of claims for safety (with little or no evidence) e.g.:

“The Mi is the only device in the world that indicates your intention to turn to both oncoming and upcoming traffic giving you the confidence to make a safe turn in the knowledge that you are visible to other road users.”

Err.... what about those ‘devices’ called arms/hands?

This is a 'solution' looking for a problem. I certainly wouldn't waste my money on them.
1 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

I'm with Reg on this one. It looks an interesting piece of gadgetry but I don't use a mirror on my bike (I'm still able to look over my shoulder......just) and I find hand signals mostly work fine.

For me, the real issue is being seen on the bike. At times, partic since we've moved to Oxford, I feel invisible to buses and taxis. I now always ride with flashing lights front and back. I've even taken to wearing a highviz gilet. From a business perspective I'd be interested to hear who the manufacturers think is their target market and how many of these they think they can sell in the UK.
2 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

I'm with the others, hand signals are enough. I don't think I am interested in yet another piece of paraphernalia to find and wear, when all I want to do is go for a ride.
1 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 5 years ago

Never mind the needlessness of indicators. A mirror attached to your hand? I am a fan of mirrors as any of you who’ve seen my bike know (my solo and Brompton each have a Mirrycle and the tandem has two) but the problem is getting them stable and rigid enough, and the time to use them is when riding in traffic not when you are stationery enough to adjust your hand angle.
1 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 5 years ago

There's a Viz Top Tips gag in here somewhere...
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 5 years ago

There's a very tenuous family link to the inventor.

I liked it because gloves, by and large do not have hi-viz, so it can be sometimes difficult to see a cyclist with his arm out. But then, hi viz is a tad simpler.
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 5 years ago

Greg wrote:
5 years ago
There's a very tenuous family link to the inventor.

I liked it because gloves, by and large do not have hi-viz, so it can be sometimes difficult to see a cyclist with his arm out. But then, hi viz is a tad simpler.
Gloves do often have retro reflecting strips, which in the dark are more useful than hi viz. Many cycling tops also have reflective bits on. And in a well lit city, it's all academic because the street lights do the job.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

Greg wrote:
5 years ago

Also, it's a lot simpler. Keeping the battery charged; tapping it to turn on and off; bright LED right in your line of sight as you move hand in and out; mirror unusable when turning;
JohnToo wrote:
5 years ago
Never mind the needlessness of indicators. A mirror attached to your hand? I am a fan of mirrors as any of you who’ve seen my bike know (my solo and Brompton each have a Mirrycle and the tandem has two) but the problem is getting them stable and rigid enough, and the time to use them is when riding in traffic not when you are stationery enough to adjust your hand angle.
Sudden sense memory! I tried to velcro a mirror to my wrist guards when rollerblading (back in the 90s!). Brilliant piece of engineering, but totally useless. Mind you rollerblades vibrate a lot more than cycles. Well, that was true when they used to repair potholes. Not so much these days.
1 x