Very specific train question

Everything to do with cycling
Rutabaga

Re: Very specific train question

Post by Rutabaga » 2 years ago

A ticket office person once sorted out a seemingly intractable ticketing problem for me, and said rather sadly, 'They pay us to sit here helping people, it's what we do. You're always better off talking to a real person.' A bit sweeping, admittedly (surly ticket office personnel definitely exist) but at least a person can think more widely around a problem than any algorithm.
2 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 2 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
2 years ago
A ticket office person once sorted out a seemingly intractable ticketing problem for me, and said rather sadly, 'They pay us to sit here helping people, it's what we do. You're always better off talking to a real person.' A bit sweeping, admittedly (surly ticket office personnel definitely exist) but at least a person can think more widely around a problem than any algorithm.
Indeed. Even on the sites where you can add a bike booking, you can't search for services with bike space available so have to go through the rigmarole of choosing tickets and adding them to your basket, and then cancelling the order and starting again when there's no bike space. I'm lucky enough to work a few minutes walk from the station - it's less hassle going up there with some simple, clear requirements and letting the staff work their magic.
1 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 2 years ago

Hi Everyone, long time no see...

I think I've found a glitch with the GWR online booking system: if you try to make your bike reservation before reserving your seat, it will tell you that there are no spaces available. I managed to secure a bike reservation on the same train by booking the seat first. The other wrinkle is that when booking a return, your reservation will be rejected if either train has no space, and it won't tell you which one. Helpful. I ended up booking separately.

@JohnToo in case you've not ridden the K&A before: the surface is quite narrow and rough in places, and gets muddy if it's been wet. A hybrid with mudguards would be a good choice.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 2 years ago

Further, the national rail app actually tells you to call or visit a station to book a bike on SWR.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210617-123753.png
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 2 years ago

ransos wrote:
2 years ago
Hi Everyone, long time no see...

I think I've found a glitch with the GWR online booking system: if you try to make your bike reservation before reserving your seat, it will tell you that there are no spaces available. I managed to secure a bike reservation on the same train by booking the seat first. The other wrinkle is that when booking a return, your reservation will be rejected if either train has no space, and it won't tell you which one. Helpful. I ended up booking separately.

@JohnToo in case you've not ridden the K&A before: the surface is quite narrow and rough in places, and gets muddy if it's been wet. A hybrid with mudguards would be a good choice.
Steve, you are bloody amazing, and the next time I see you I am buying you a very large drink. Just tried again, reserving seats first, and the bike reservations magically become available.
2 x

JohnToo

ransos wrote:
2 years ago
I refer you to the picture a bit up this thread:

download/file.php?id=1388

32mm (her)/35mm (me) tyres, mudguards, and (although I hope not terribly relevant for a canal-based route) both low gears around 20" - your advice is always welcome but I think we've probably anticipated it on this occasion....
0 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 2 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
2 years ago
I refer you to the picture a bit up this thread:

download/file.php?id=1388

32mm (her)/35mm (me) tyres, mudguards, and (although I hope not terribly relevant for a canal-based route) both low gears around 20" - your advice is always welcome but I think we've probably anticipated it on this occasion....
Great. I can see from earlier posts that you're familiar with what Sustrans considers to be fit for the NCN...
1 x

JohnToo

ransos wrote:
2 years ago
Great. I can see from earlier posts that you're familiar with what Sustrans considers to be fit for the NCN...
I used to be very cynical about Sustrans and the NCN, both the principle and how they've implemented it. Well, I still am, but on this occasion we just need a ready-made minimum-planning route we can pluck off a website and go and do in a window carved out from our various commitments, and for all their faults and potentially harmful long-term consequences, they are quite good for that. Provided, as you observe, you have a robust bike and don't mind lifting bikes over sundry barriers...
0 x