Pies

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Dunckel

Pies

Post by Dunckel » 5 years ago

No forum can be complete without a thread about pies*

We tried a different pub for lunch todsy, out in the South Leicestershire countryside. When we parked the car we noticed at the back of the pub was a small shop selling pies and pasties. Inside the bar they were serving the same, made on the premises pies.

Steak and ale, with the lightest pastry and the biggest lumps of meat you could wish for. Excuse the chip jenga, that soon got knocked over.

*Anything in a tin is not a pie, mention of any such monstrosity is likely to result in defenestration.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1536413871898.jpg
3 x

Rocky

Re: Pies

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

Looks lovely TVC :)

Vern always said if it didn’t have a pastry top, sides and bottom it wasn’t a pie.
1 x

Dunckel

Rocky wrote:
5 years ago

Vern always said if it didn’t have a pastry top, sides and bottom it wasn’t a pie.
I would say casseroles with pastry lids do have a place if described as pot pies, it's the ones that come with ring pull tins that may not be mentioned.
1 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

You’ve made me hungry. When I get back later, I’m going in search of pies - No. 1 son needs some proper cuisine none of this Fijian rubbish.
1 x

Dunckel

Rocky wrote:
5 years ago
You’ve made me hungry. When I get back later, I’m going in search of pies - No. 1 son needs some proper cuisine none of this Fijian rubbish.
I bet he will be ready for a decent pie or proper stew. When we spent a month in Fiji and Oz we had fantastic food every day with brilliant fresh tropical ingredients, however on the flight back we were both craving beef stew and dumplings.
1 x

Markymark

Post by Markymark » 5 years ago

Rocky wrote:
5 years ago

I dunno. Sometimes I knock up a filling, put in into a baking tray, lay over some puff pastry, tucking it in rather than on the top, and stick in oven. It has a top, sides but no bottom. Quick, easy and yummy
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

For me, pies like the one in the OP have a bit too much pastry, but that's because I don't much like pastry so a casserole with a top would be fine by me. What is not fine is the Fray Bentos version, which is a smear of brown matter with pastry on top and not fit to be called food.
0 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 5 years ago

A stew with a hat would be fine if that is how it was described: it would tell me to order something else.
2 x

Markymark

Post by Markymark » 5 years ago

ransos wrote:
5 years ago
A stew with a hat would be fine if that is how it was described: it would tell me to order something else.
Luckily all the restaurants you go to have laminated pictures of the food.
2 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 5 years ago

Markymark wrote:
5 years ago
Luckily all the restaurants you go to have laminated pictures of the food.
It's much easier to wipe up the drool.
3 x