So, what do we think of the forum software?

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

So, what do we think of the forum software?

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

I'm not loving it to be honest, but for arcane reasons I have only used it through a phone so far.

Any feed back on the look, feel and usability?
0 x

Greg

Re: So, what do we think of the forum software?

Post by Greg » 5 years ago

Seems OK, not as good as Xenfora but thats maybe just familiarity.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 5 years ago

It's the same software as used by YACF.  It's not as 'whizzy' as the software used by CycleChat - it's a bit clunkier to do things like insert links.

We might want to consider using something like Xenforo but I'm happy to go with the majority view.

I'm also happy to put my hand in my pocket to help with costs...
0 x
Fiat justitia - ruat caelum

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

Still finding my way around it. Navigating doesn't seem that easy (how do we add avatars?), but that might just be because it's unfamiliar. Like most people I tend to like what I know, and I'm not that quick to learn new procedures, so it will take a while; I quite like the look of it though.
0 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 5 years ago

I csn't workout now to upload a photo from my files, and I would prefer the clock to be 24hr - just a personal thing.
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 5 years ago

Clicking on a topic seems to take you to the top of the topic, not the first unread (different, and feels intuitively wrong). The interface is quite small, even on a reasonably big screen zoomed in to a larger than default display size - not good for us old farts with weaker eyesight than we used to have.
On a phone, it's tiny - trying to squeeze a load of stuff on the screen. And the icon menu is unintuitive.

Having said that, my suggestion if you're trying to establish a community is to focus on the community, not on the medium. Someone might have observed elsewhere (it's not a very original observation) that developing a way of connecting people because you're keen on the toys used to make connections isn't a good way of building connections. LinkedIn works, even though it's extremely hard-nosed and open about being a data-scraping mechanism, because it thinks hard about how people in business want to be connected (and is extremely useful for that). Facebook is a bit icky because it pretends to be about community, but is much better at data analysis than promoting connections. It's not impossible that some posters have other, more direct experiences.

Or, to put it another way, if there is a de facto founding CTO and CEO who took the trouble to find some server space and instal some software, it doesn't have to be the case that the same person is taking the decisions about how to structure the forum, how to make it look and feel attractive to users and how to decide who to accept and refuse - and I suspect it's the case that those sorts of discussions should happen later rather than now.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

(typed before iris's post, which I haven't yet read)

Thanks for the responses. As YACF use it, I am sure it can be tweaked to make it usable.

There are a lot of other free forum software that I can install at a press of a button before we spend any money (including phpBB I highly customised a decade or so ago). But I think to process of installing new software, getting everyone to create an account, and testing it for a few weeks would quickly get tiresome.

I'd avoid xenforo, as there are thousands of other options out there it would look like I'm trying to recreate cc without Shaun, which I am not.

So - we could try one or two more, or settle on SMF and I will start tweaking it.
0 x

Dunckel

I have been poking around in my profile and it has the the time format selection, so that is my gripe sorted, I have also switched to the alternate thrme "Core" and the pages are much more readable
0 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

I've just switched theme like Ducky Dunckel......I, too, prefer the layout. To tell the truth, I'm quite happy with SMF, CC had too many bells and whistles. It's the message that matters to me, not whether you can upload a gif of the grim reaper as your avatar.
0 x
.......is it time for a snooze?

Iris

Post by Iris » 5 years ago

[quote="Iris"]
Clicking on a topic seems to take you to the top of the topic, not the first unread (different, and feels intuitively wrong).
[/quote]
A very vague memory led me to click on the "new" icon - that's what takes you to the first unread.

Unintuitive for me.

One more firm vote against Xenforo. Back in the day, YACF was nakedly an attempt to replicate ACF, to the extent of stealing look and feel and using the same software. That felt like an act of very bad faith.
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

I have discovered how to change to 'core' layout, which I agree is better, and how to upload an avatar  :)
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Before we make our final commitment, I've installed another forum software.

https://cpanel82.gzo.com/~cyclingrelated/phpBB

Please have a play and see if you prefer it.  Note this is just a test installation, I will be deleting everything and doing a fresh install if we decide to go ahead.  So go crazy and have fun.
0 x

Dunckel

Test
Attachments
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 5 years ago

0 x
Fiat justitia - ruat caelum