So, what do we think of the forum software?

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: So, what do we think of the forum software?

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

Regulator wrote: Image
I can't see that image ..... And if I go to the URL, I see <attachment>

Let's try .... Image

Oh, that works.  I wonder what it means?
Attachments
0 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

That works!! Nice......
0 x
.......is it time for a snooze?

Iris

Post by Iris » 5 years ago

Joan wrote: Before we make our final commitment, I've installed another forum software.

https://cpanel82.gzo.com/~cyclingrelated/phpBB

Please have a play and see if you prefer it.  Note this is just a test installation, I will be deleting everything and doing a fresh install if we decide to go ahead.  So go crazy and have fun.
Cross-posted from the other place (and the "quote" tags are different so it won't work properly, but never mind).
Iris post_id=23 time=1534089949 user_id=56 wrote:
Is there a case for tackling the question from the other end? What, for us as users, and @joan as administrator, and (insert name here) as moderators, are the essential and desirable features of software?

I'll start with - mobile responsive, and adequately user customisable to give readable text even for myopic astigmatic eyes belonging to someone approaching their half century.
For those not over the way in phpBB land, there's now a solution over there to my eyesight problem. To be honest, aesthetically I prefer the phpBB software - but aesthetics comes further down the list, I think, than customisability for the admins, ease of moderation (assuming opened up to the wider world in due course) and ease of posting.
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

I am not going to look at the alternative because I think this version is OK, and it will just confuse me. I'm not that bothered about techie details really.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Iris makes a good point, but I think forum software are like martial arts: they all start of quite different, but as you skill up they become more and more similar.

(that analogy worked much better in my head.)

As an admin, I am much more comfortable with phpBB,    than my first choice.

I will play with twitter integration (which I couldn't easily make work here),  but my vote will go for phpBB.  I think we can migrate our posts to there - but not sure we should ????
0 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 5 years ago

Joan wrote: Iris makes a good point, but I think forum software are like martial arts: they all start of quite different, but as you skill up they become more and more similar.

(that analogy worked much better in my head.)

As an admin, I am much more comfortable with phpBB,    than my first choice.

I will play with twitter integration (which I couldn't easily make work here),  but my vote will go for phpBB.  I think we can migrate our posts to there - but not sure we should ????
I prefer the other one, and I agree, we could do the coughing and farting in here until things are set up and start thr other one clean, it should be less work.

Also if and when it comes to opening wallets I am here with my fair share.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Oops.  I've deleted the database for the test forum.  So it's broken. 

No matter.  I've decided that it is better than this software, so will migrated us there shortly.

Keep using this software, but don't feel any duty to report further bugs. 
0 x