Bollocks to Brexit

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Rutabaga

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

I'd be happy to go back and forth on the ferries with my wheely suitcase, for a reasonable consideration.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 5 years ago

An interesting article on the BBC website:

How Brexit hit the pound in your pocket
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rutabaga wrote:
5 years ago
I'd be happy to go back and forth on the ferries with my wheely suitcase, for a reasonable consideration.
You should send Matt Hancock and Chris Grayling a proposal on the back of a fag packet (you could get one from Nigel Farage). You’d probably get a multimillion £ Government contract by return.
2 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

Regulator wrote:
5 years ago
You should send Matt Hancock and Chris Grayling a proposal on the back of a fag packet (you could get one from Nigel Farage). You’d probably get a multimillion £ Government contract by return.
Yes, all you’d need to demonstrate is that you don’t own any boats. Bingo!! The contract is yours.
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

My insurers have emailed me to let me know that if there is a no deal Brexit, I’ll need a green card to drive in the Free Circulation Zone countries, which they can issue. They also point out that my cover for driving in Europe will change - I’ll only have third party. I’ll have to pay more to get the same level of cover I now have.
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 5 years ago

The Independent Party is now the same size* as the parliamentary Liberal Democratic Party.

#funfact

* Edit: Sorry one short.

#footinmouth
1 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 5 years ago

Bigger, if they claim the existing independents.
1 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

I gather the Home Office has just revoked their British citizenship.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

I don't normally closely follow what happens in the house of Commons, but I accidentally just did. Corbyn attacks May? Fine, that's literally his job. But May attacking Corbyn, firing off delicious bon mots? That's not her job. Her job is to run the country and to tell us about it, not to undermine someone who has no real power. She should defend herself, but not attacking him. He's not important. How well he is doing his job has no bearing on whether his critiques are well founded.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I’ve sent Heidi Allen a tweet:
I’m not a Tory voter but you’re my MP. Thank you for having the personal integrity and courage to put the interests of your constituents and the country before those of your party. I only hope more of your colleagues can show the same integrity and courage.
4 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 5 years ago

Joan wrote:
5 years ago
I don't normally closely follow what happens in the house of Commons, but I accidentally just did. Corbyn attacks May? Fine, that's literally his job. But May attacking Corbyn, firing off delicious bon mots? That's not her job. Her job is to run the country and to tell us about it, not to undermine someone who has no real power. She should defend herself, but not attacking him. He's not important. How well he is doing his job has no bearing on whether his critiques are well founded.
May has never answered a straight question in her entire political career. Unfortunately that's how you get to the top. The same goes for both parties.
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

One of the reasons that Leave appears to be still popular imo is the rather over-exaggerated claims by the Remain politicians and supporters in the referendum run-up that the UK would start to see immediate economic chaos on day one after the vote. This didn't happen, in a way that ordinary people could see, so it enabled Leavers to think that they were right all along and Brexit wasn't going to be that bad.

I think you'll struggle to find any mainstream politician or Remain supporter who actually claimed that. This is basically a vague assertion that was repeatedly made by Brexiteers as part of painting everything as 'Project Fear'.

What is clear is that the day after the brexit vote, the pound fell and has not recovered to the pre-Brexit vote level. Businesses are increasingly struggling financially due to the uncertainty, and investment is being delayed or aimed outside the UK.
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

No shit Sherlock!

It takes some doing to make Grayling look half competent...
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

These include Switzerland, Chile, the Faroe Islands, Eastern and Southern Africa, Israel and the Palestinian Authority.
🤪
0 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 5 years ago

Regulator wrote:
5 years ago
No shit Sherlock!

It takes some doing to make Grayling look half competent...
Weren't they supposed to be the easiest negotiations in history.
1 x