Rebellion Day

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Rutabaga

Rebellion Day

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

It's November 17th, Parliament Square, coordinated by Extinction Rebellion to protest the ruination of our planet by human actions. Planned civil disobedience and healing ceremonies by Wiccans. Anyone going?
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Rebellion Day

Post by Regulator » 5 years ago

I shall be winging my way to the Med...

but I hope those who do go have a good time. I think civil disobedience (a horrible phrase IMHO) is the way to go now, if you want anything to change.
0 x

Rutabaga

I'm not at all sure about it really. I mean, I agree with the premise (I was living in Cambridge when a young Jonathan Porrit started what later became the Ecology Party, then the Greens, and was involved in a small way), but I'm not sure this is worth doing when the root cause of the problem is capitalism itself and it will probably just be seen as a bunch of anarchists and weirdo hippies.

I very rarely go on demonstrations, and I think this is one I'd rather not get involved in; it actually clashes with an anti-racism one that I would be more inclined to take part in if I was free, which I'm not.
0 x

Rutabaga

It's interesting (to me, anyway) that the fuel tax protestors in France are using the exact same approach to protesting by civil disobedience - blocking the roads - but for the exact opposite cause. The last time a similar thing took place in the UK (slow-moving HGVs) it was successful, I seem to remember. I'm even less convinced of its efficacy as a form of protest against the proliferation of cars.
0 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

The Botley Road in Oxford was blocked off by Extinction Rebellion protestors on Friday. Why anyone would want to drive into the centre of Oxford is beyond me. I felt really pleased that someone was making a stand. If I didn’t have to visit my elderly mother in north London, I’d have sold my car long ago.
1 x

Rutabaga

Yeah, it's good to make a stand, I'm just not sure blocking the roads is the way to do it. I can see that behaving reasonably hasn't worked so far, but ...
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 5 years ago

After all, it's not as if the UK's greenhouse gas emissions have been falling steadily for a good 30 years or anything.
Screenshot_20181126-162548~2.png
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 5 years ago

Iris wrote:
5 years ago
After all, it's not as if the UK's greenhouse gas emissions have been falling steadily for a good 30 years or anything.

Screenshot_20181126-162548~2.png
Does that take into account any measure of outsourcing?
0 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 5 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
5 years ago
Does that take into account any measure of outsourcing?
Indirect emissions ("scope 3") are not normally included in government reporting.
0 x

Rutabaga

Anyway, referencing 'rebellion' and its efficacy: One person's 'making a stand' is another person's 'being an annoying idiot' - like the local vegans who stormed a steak house the other day and played diners loud recordings of animals screaming. Would that really put people off eating meat by appealing to their better selves?
0 x