Rolling my eyes so far I can see the inside of my skull....

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Rolling my eyes so far I can see the inside of my skull....

Post by Regulator » 5 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
5 years ago
I am interested in the psychology of shooting. It seems to me that guns have a clear connection with power, status, virility, etc. But they also have a functional aspect - farmers shooting pests - and a skill/sport aspect - target shooting. I am interested (and, I hope, open minded) as to how far these different aspects are intertwined or can be separated, and any insights you can give would be gratefully received. I have to say that the mere words "gun club" conjour up certain (no doubt largely American-derived) connotations.
For me, my shooting is primarily target based (although I have helped with pest control sessions, via the club). My club is a 'Target Sports Club' - so it is primarily about range target shooting, although it also offers clay pigeon shooting and archery.

I joined as it gave me somewhere safe to shoot (which can be difficult to find these days), it gave me access to try other types of shooting without having to necessarily go down the FAC route - and there's quite a good social scene as well. I also occasionally do a bit of Hunter Field Target shooting with another club.

I find shooting quite a relaxing and almost meditative pursuit - if you want to shoot accurately you need to be calm, control your breathing and be aware of your surroundings. It's almost an exercise in mindfulness.
0 x