Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: In the news...

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Greg wrote:
4 years ago
Well, yes, I know I can be...but..

OK, let's assume he didn't mean it. I actually think that is probably true*. But if I accidentally called a mixed race baby a monkey** I would either prostrate myself before the parents, apologising profusely and begging forgiveness or - more likely - get plastic surgery to change my appearance, burn my fingerprints off, get a fake passport and start a new life in Argentina. I would not make a half arsed apology implying its all bants and that I am being fucked in the arse.

He only showing that sort of remorce today, after he's been sacked.

* whomever created that image with its caption was racist. That's not the image you'd pick to show circus, you'd pick something like this. You don't generate something that specifically racist accidentally. So I think a racist friend sent it to him, he misinterpreted it and put it on twitter.

** I can easily imagine saying "what a naughty little monkey he is" and not realising the offence until someone pointed it out.
-----
All IMHO, of course.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

So where do we think Freddie Starr was on the fame/blame ratio? He was clearly a creature of his time, and I never heard of him back then, so I can't judge his talent.
Screenshot_20190510-182014_1.png
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
So where do we think Freddie Starr was on the fame/blame ratio? He was clearly a creature of his time, and I never heard of him back then, so I can't judge his talent.

Screenshot_20190510-182014_1.png

Well, he liked to sexually assault children...
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

Remember those incredible photos of hundreds of tourists queuing up to take a selfie on a lump of rock somewhere (I forget where) that will all have looked identical in the illusion that the person is alone in the wilderness? Well, there's a new version of that, on Everest, and I just don't understand why anyone would want to take part. People are dying, what an utter pointless waste.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... ercrowding
4 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, I will have to get back to this thread later to discuss Everest, but in the mean time I came here to ask:

Do you think Jared Kushner lives in the uncanny valley?

vs
0 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Oh, I will have to get back to this thread later to discuss Everest, but in the mean time I came here to ask:

Do you think Jared Kushner lives in the uncanny valley?

vs
For me he always looks creepy, in an undead way.
0 x

Rutabaga

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
Remember those incredible photos of hundreds of tourists queuing up to take a selfie on a lump of rock somewhere (I forget where) that will all have looked identical in the illusion that the person is alone in the wilderness? Well, there's a new version of that, on Everest, and I just don't understand why anyone would want to take part. People are dying, what an utter pointless waste.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... ercrowding
Just why do so many people feel an overwhelming need to risk their lives to try and climb Everest (or attempt all sorts of other feats of endurance)? It's a question that's interested me for a long time, and this article from BBC Future suggests some plausible answers, as well as reasons for the apparent suspension of norms of moral behaviour (like passing by a dying person without stopping to help). I found it really fascinating.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2015100 ... ead-bodies
1 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

Does anyone really care that a politician took drugs 20 odd years ago? I understand the Tory leader wannabes don't want skeletons coming out of their closet but really, does anyone care?
0 x

Rutabaga

Lullabelle wrote:
4 years ago
Does anyone really care that a politician took drugs 20 odd years ago? I understand the Tory leader wannabes don't want skeletons coming out of their closet but really, does anyone care?
It depends on the drug. Which drug does the most damage to society overall? Alcohol. A few lines of coke years ago are tantamount to a teeny vole skeleton, imho.
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

It is all about the war on drugs.
0 x

Rutabaga

How's that coming along?
0 x

LowlifeDes

Mixed.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

7410590212_e19ab817dc.jpg
3 x

LowlifeDes

I think that we can now understand the reasons for Boris Johnson's haircut. Not to be smarter but to get rid of the older bits that might show evidence of cocaine use.
2 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
4 years ago
I think that we can now understand the reasons for Boris Johnson's haircut. Not to be smarter but to get rid of the older bits that might show evidence of cocaine use.
To be honest, looking at and listening to Boris, I would be more shocked if it turned out he hadn't snorted cocaine.
1 x