In the news...

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Lullabelle

Re: Terry Jones

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
I hadn't thought I had a favourite Python, but now I realise I did.
Not a python fan but he was a very intelligent guy who did so much other stuff.
Intelligent people seem to get Alzeimers/dementia etc...
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Lullabelle wrote:
4 years ago
Not a python fan but he was a very intelligent guy who did so much other stuff.
Intelligent people seem to get Alzeimers/dementia etc...
The theory is it's actually the opposite: it's called cognitive reserve, and the more active your mind is, the more you can withstand the ravages of disease or dementia. But it's always heartbreaking to see a great mind fail, and I agree it seems more common in the intellectuals, but it's only those with active minds who we are still interested in into their 70s. If the entire cast of on the buses got Alzeimers, would it make the news? Well, yes, I guess it would if they all did, but not each individual actor.
1 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
If the entire cast of on the buses got Alzeimers, would it make the news? Well, yes, I guess it would if they all did, but not each individual actor.
It would be quite remarkable, involving a fair bit of resurrection.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

LowlifeDes wrote:
4 years ago
It would be quite remarkable, involving a fair bit of resurrection.
Yeah, poor choice. But it's hard naming a low brow sitcom that might not have been smarter than I realised. On the buses seemed safe.

I thought of Our You Being Served, but that was almost about dementia, in a way.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: In the news...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ard-sinaga

I just caught up with this. It's about the serial rapist who drugged a couple of hundred men. I don't understand the slant of this article. Isn't the more important aspect of his sexuality the rapes , not the which gender he preferred?

Awaiting the "Serial Rapist's mum thought that he preferred skinny women" headline in the guardian.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Donald Trump has banned travellers from all European countries where he doesn't own golf courses.
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 3 years ago

Are we heading towards a war?

The economies tanking, the wealth divide will undoubtedly widen further.
A 2nd pandemic wave now seems likely.
Divisions are growing between the alt right and BLM movement, and all shades (pun intended) in-between.
The Brexit wound is far from healed.
Our world leaders are increasingly radical.

WTF is going on?
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 3 years ago

Greg wrote:
3 years ago
Are we heading towards a war?

The economies tanking, the wealth divide will undoubtedly widen further.
A 2nd pandemic wave now seems likely.
Divisions are growing between the alt right and BLM movement, and all shades (pun intended) in-between.
The Brexit wound is far from healed.
Our world leaders are increasingly radical.

WTF is going on?
I'm just glad I stocked up on 5000 toilet rolls.
2 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 3 years ago

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... mi-bennett

Has anyone followed this case and watched the police bodycam footage?

I could easily believe that the initial decision to stop her car was racist, but I'd be interested what anyone else thinks about the subsequent unfolding of the incident.
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 3 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
3 years ago

I could easily believe that the initial decision to stop her car was racist, but I'd be interested what anyone else thinks about the subsequent unfolding of the incident.
I have watched the footage. I was imagining a middle-class-looking, well-dressed, 47-year-old white woman in a high-end car (I assume, I don't know anything about cars), parked up and dropping off a friend after midnight. Leaving aside the question of whether the police officer would even have bothered with the tinted/tainted windows bullshit in the first place, I can't help feeling he would have said something about please consider getting your windows replaced, madam, as they are not legal, and that would have been that. All the hostile stuff about local thefts, there's something in the car, have you taken drugs, is directly because the 'suspect' is black, it seems to me - most likely none of that would have even have occurred to him if she had been white.

He dealt with the whole thing extremely badly, and he isn't fit to be a police officer at the moment, in my opinion. He should be sent for intensive training before he's allowed out on the streets again.
3 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 3 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
3 years ago

The officer was clearly out of order. He claims she was being spoken to because of tinted windows and then claims it was because he thought she had stolen goods, as she was parked in an area with a burglary problem.

I can perfectly understand why she said she was scared.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 3 years ago

Fuck.

There are two possibilities of why she didn't want to get out of the car: she was scared, as she claimed; or she was hiding something. She wasn't hiding anything, so she was telling the truth when she said she was scared. And she had good reason to be scared, given the end result. So she wasn't obstructing the police, yet the pursued a conviction nevertheless, giving this blameless woman a criminal record.

I am so angry! She should not have been treated like that, whatever the reason.

You can hear the hate in the officer's voice. That is why I assume they pressed the obstruction charge even though there was no underlying offence. Why did he start to hate her so quickly? Because he doesn't like a black person resisting his authority? or woman? or anyone? I think it's race. I can't prove it.
2 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 3 years ago

It rather ties in with this one, which I'm sure you've all seen before. The footage is from 5 years ago but has only been released recently as a consquence of the current climate;

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 56526.html
1 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 3 years ago

Both cut-and-dried cases of Driving Whilst Black. The police have that arsey defensive tone and aggressively circuitous logic about them in these situations because they actually believe that racial profiling is just fine and dandy and are really pissed off at having to pretend they don't do it.
2 x