Is this breaking the no-advertising-prescription-drugs rule?

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Is this breaking the no-advertising-prescription-drugs rule?

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Probably a question for @Regulator, but I just noticed a lot of London buses plastered with ads directing you to http://www.askforclear.co.uk

I suffered from eczema (I still can't spell it without a spell checker!) as a child, and my brother had psoriasis as an adolescent. You will never complain about teenage acne if you know someone with psoriasis. So I am a glad there is (if there is) an effective treatment. So YAY, if the drug works. But I don't think that is enough to sneak us into the horror that is the constant "ask your doctor is <drug> is right for you" that corrupts the US media.

And then there is this ....
homepage-mobile-slider-2.jpg
I am partially in love with them showing an average Joe (instead of a model) to illustrate their ads, but I can't believe that a woman with his BMI would be used for anything but a fat-shaming weight loss advertisement.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is this breaking the no-advertising-prescription-drugs rule?

PS: should I create a new generic topic about important things that aren't in the news?

(I hunted around for a suitable topic to pin this on. Suggestions welcome.)
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

On the ordinary-people-in-adverts thing, the Sainsburys (I think) clothing brand currently has a TV ad for holiday clothes, including bikinis, modelled by women who no-one would describe as slim.

0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

NB: I've edited @Iris's post include the video.
Iris wrote:
4 years ago
On the ordinary-people-in-adverts thing, the Sainsburys (I think) clothing brand currently has a TV ad for holiday clothes, including bikinis, modelled by women who no-one would describe as slim.

Cool. That's the thing about not watching TV. You make idiot assertions that are basically wrong.

Still, the TUV ad is about not being ashamed of your body even though you probably are, while the psoriasis ad is still about psoriasis and not about what a fatass you are, but still - that's solid progress I did not know we had made.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Is this breaking the no-advertising-prescription-drugs ru

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Probably a question for @Regulator, but I just noticed a lot of London buses plastered with ads directing you to http://www.askforclear.co.uk

I suffered from eczema (I still can't spell it without a spell checker!) as a child, and my brother had psoriasis as an adolescent. You will never complain about teenage acne if you know someone with psoriasis. So I am a glad there is (if there is) an effective treatment. So YAY, if the drug works. But I don't think that is enough to sneak us into the horror that is the constant "ask your doctor is <drug> is right for you" that corrupts the US media.

And then there is this ....

homepage-mobile-slider-2.jpg

I am partially in love with them showing an average Joe (instead of a model) to illustrate their ads, but I can't believe that a woman with his BMI would be used for anything but a fat-shaming weight loss advertisement.
They’re not actually advertising a specific drug. They’re offering advice on identifying issues and navigating the NHS psoriasis pathway.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is this breaking the no-advertising-prescription-drugs ru

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
They’re not actually advertising a specific drug. They’re offering advice on identifying issues and navigating the NHS psoriasis pathway.
Yes, but how is that different from "Ask your doctor if Champix is right for you"? I mean, technically they don't name the drug, but it's a moments google, and if I couldn't do that (and had psoriasis), I'd be making an appointment with my GP anyway to say "what is the new drug from Novartis?" It seems pretty weasily to me. Drug advertising in the US is generally regarded as unhelpful, and I don't think we want a version of it here.

It reminds me of "follow on" milk, formula for toddlers. Apparently it didn't exist when you could advertise infant formula, but now that's banned, they created a product that could be advertised, and that was similar enough to infant formula to reach their target market. Oh, and of course they sell the follow on milk to a market that doesn't need it.
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

A lot of advertising, in fact most of it I'd say, is specifically concerned with selling stuff to markets that don't need it.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

That's glib.
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

I mean it, and I have worked in advertising.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I think it's safe to assume that most adults that have applied any thought to the motivations around advertising are aware of what it's for.
0 x