UK politics

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

LowlifeDes

Re: UK politics

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
No - he's not. The Chief Rabbi represents about 20% of British Jews at most.
The proportion of British Jews he represents is irrelevant, because he wasn't representing them. He was representing the interests of the Tory party and Israel.
3 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

And so this discussion reaches its nadir.

I'm out of here.
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

123.gif
1 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

Iris wrote:
4 years ago
And so this discussion reaches its nadir.

I'm out of here.
I thought the discussion was entirely reasonable. It is possible to believe that Corbyn has made some blunders in this campaign, and still to believe that he has been the victim of sustained and unprecedented attacks from a coalition of interests that do not want him to gain power and will go to extraordinary lengths to stop him. Those interests include people who should be ashamed of themselves because (as eg religious leaders) they should be focussing on the bigger issues. This is a shitty country and I am currently ashamed to be a citizen.
8 x

LowlifeDes

I do not for one second believe that the Tory party truly care about anti-Semitism whatsoever. If they did, they would address it in their own ranks. In weaponising the subject, they are callously using Jewish people for unconnected ends, thus becomming the ones engaging in anti-Semitic behaviour.
4 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

Michael Rosen nails it...

1 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

Both main parties are living in a fiscal fantasy world, though we all knew that anyway.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50585818
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Dunckel wrote:
4 years ago
Both main parties are living in a fiscal fantasy world, though we all knew that anyway.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50585818
Although one does have to take into account IFS' ideological approach/baggage and that its views are not always consistent with other independent think tanks...

"By ignoring social, political and macroeconomic effects, IFS studies do not tell us whether a policy is a good idea, only whether 'the numbers add up'."
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Boris Johnson is encouraging Tory candidates to lie about and smear their rivals.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... are_btn_tw
0 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

The story doing the rounds in the usual places is that Boris doesn't want to do a public appearance with Trump during his NATO visit, in case he publically endorses him as next PM or mentions the NHS. Fingers crossed it happens.
2 x

LowlifeDes

Or he is scared that the trump has finally seen this
3 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Cassette Boy strikes again... ;D

1 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 4 years ago

I went to our hustings last night. We had a nice Lib Dem bloke, a nice Labour woman, a nice Green Party man, and Disgraced Former Defence Secretary Liam Fox. Fox started the proceedings by saying that he had to nip out half way through for a (far more important) BBC interview. He did come back. He then claimed that if we didn't get brexit done then we'd be responsible for the rise of the far right in the UK.

Then he inferred that poor public transport is the public's fault because the public don't use it.

Then he ignored the question about how many new hospitals there really would be.

Then he suggested that the NHS crisis is due to diabetes (our fault).

Then he cheekily claimed that he'd done hundreds of surgeries and is really in with the community. No-one ever sees him here. I wanted to ask why his email auto response says that he doesn't reply to emails about brexit and why he's never replied to any of my emails, but he was too busy listening to a woman banging on about the times that the gates are open at the Long Ashton park and ride.

Then he said that the priority is the economy.

Then my son booed him.

The Lib Dem bloke made an interesting point about the tories being stuck in the eighties and still believing in the drip-down economy growth. But Liam was in the church building up the road by then blagging it to the BBC.

What was really clear from the evening is the difference between local politicians and the cabinet. The other three were open, honest, intelligent, engaging and bothered. All foxy was interested in was his one-liner party nonsense. The audience didn't buy it. Shame though, because he'll still walk it.
Last edited by Mister Paul on Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

It our local hustings tonight. The Labour candidate and the Lib Dem candidate have confirmed. The Tory shit hasn’t (it’s Anthony Browne, the racist and homophobic former BoJo aide). I suggested he be empty chaired or ‘iced’ if he doesn’t show.... but the Clerk was trying to suggest we’d have to cancel or we’d potentially be in breach of electoral law. I pointed out that wasn’t correct (which he didn’t like).
0 x