Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Rutabaga

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
4 years ago
Yes, to put it in current terms, it is almost as though the state of accepting Tory beliefs is a sickness brought on by an infection by an alien organism.
At last, a remotely plausible explanation.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

*Snork*
1 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

Ok, watched Boris dribble on, so basically nothing has changed.
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

Lullabelle wrote:
4 years ago
Ok, watched Boris dribble on, so basically nothing has changed.
I'm with those who say that, whether or not much has changed substantively, by replacing (relative) clarity with complete confusion and ambiguity, Johnson has driven a coach and horses through the collective public buy-in necessary to make social distancing work. R will increase and there will be yet more unnecessary deaths to lay at the door of this government.
4 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

My employer has confirmed we are not changing our previous approach. Thank God I have a sensible and responsible employer... not everyone is so lucky.

#BorisHasFailed
1 x

Rutabaga

JohnToo wrote:
4 years ago
I'm with those who say that, whether or not much has changed substantively, by replacing (relative) clarity with complete confusion and ambiguity, Johnson has driven a coach and horses through the collective public buy-in necessary to make social distancing work. R will increase and there will be yet more unnecessary deaths to lay at the door of this government.
A confused, and confusing, message means that when disaster ensues Boris can simply blame it on people not following the message properly.
2 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

As of yesterday evening, my view was slightly at odds with others. Expecting an absolute car crash, I was pleasantly surprised to hear something that I found reasonably intelligible. I was able to understand the core message that a normal person could have delivered in four minutes.
This morning however, now that Raab has provided the clarity and nuance, is a car crash. Last Wednesday the message was that yesterday's announcement was necessary so that some changes could take place today, and failing to put them before parliament was a regrettable necessity. Yesterday the message was, for those who can only work on site, get back Monday morning. Today it is get back on Wednesday.
In one interview Raab suggested meeting both parents in the park at the same time is OK, in another it was one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. Not a direct contradiction but certainly a reduction in clarity.
How can these people be so muddled and disorganised in their preparation for delivering a simple message? The fact that Raab and Patel hold two of the great offices of state is a mystery and a measure of the awful state of politics in our country.
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

I'm confused... its my dads birthday on Wednesday, he's not doing well, in his 70's and having lost his wife (my mum) at the end of January plus a large part of his life was meeting his friends for 'early doors',

Me and my 2 sisters have had very minimal contact, I've seen him only twice since lock down (2 metres etc obvs). So for his birthday, we had tentatively arranged to stand 2 mtrs apart in his garden and have a beer with him.

Is that now not allowed? Was it ever allowed before? After last nights total waffle, I think it was clearer before.
0 x

LowlifeDes

This is the infographic showing government advice on how to see your relatives
good-bad-ugly.jpg
3 x

Rutabaga

I think meetings with members of 'other households' probably wasn't allowed before (although they occurred, accidentally on purpose, when people spotted each other while out exercising), but now it is but only with ONE person from the other household. But really I think the new approach means people can pretty much do what they like, then claim they thought it was allowed.

Which is what was happening before anyway - some friends of mine have been swimming in the sea, which they insisted counts as 'exercise', dismissing the pleas by coastguards not to do so, because it risks staff and resources if they needed to be rescued, on the grounds that they are strong swimmers. Apparently 'watersports' (ha) are now allowed - but this morning at least one press report said this means only in rivers and lakes, not the sea.

It's all such a dangerous mess.
1 x

LowlifeDes

There is apparently a 50 page document due today, that is supposed to provide the more specific, detailed guidance. It would have been sensible to use a moment in yesterday's address to point people towards it.
0 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 4 years ago

I spent last night messaging my teams telling them to not come into the office today. This morning, I have contractors asking when they can start back on site.

Thanks Boris.
2 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 4 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
4 years ago
As of yesterday evening, my view was slightly at odds with others. Expecting an absolute car crash, I was pleasantly surprised to hear something that I found reasonably intelligible. I was able to understand the core message that a normal person could have delivered in four minutes.
This morning however, now that Raab has provided the clarity and nuance, is a car crash. Last Wednesday the message was that yesterday's announcement was necessary so that some changes could take place today, and failing to put them before parliament was a regrettable necessity. Yesterday the message was, for those who can only work on site, get back Monday morning. Today it is get back on Wednesday.
In one interview Raab suggested meeting both parents in the park at the same time is OK, in another it was one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. Not a direct contradiction but certainly a reduction in clarity.
How can these people be so muddled and disorganised in their preparation for delivering a simple message? The fact that Raab and Patel hold two of the great offices of state is a mystery and a measure of the awful state of politics in our country.
Pretty much my thoughts.

It was nice to hear Raab tell me that I could meet up with the people I'm currently living with in a park as long as we keep 2m from each other.

Crystal clear.
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

96823978_10215837536027491_3564513068278874112_o.jpg
3 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 4 years ago

I liked the idea (in Belgium?) of extending the social bubble to another household, meaning that we could finally get together with our closest friends who live about 100 metres from our house.

But instead I can apparently meet one person from another house. Then I guess I could meet another single person from somewhere else? Then person number two from house 1? If I play my cards right I could possibly spread it to whole street by sundown.
0 x