Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

LowlifeDes

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by LowlifeDes » 3 years ago

Iris wrote:
3 years ago
Fucking Cummings.
Good Cummings, I hope. He is possibly the best weapon the opposition have right now.
0 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 3 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
3 years ago
But the journalists didn't press him as hard as they should. When he failed to answer the Barnard Castle question, the next journalist should have said "Prime Minister, I am am forgoing my planned question to repeat the question my colleague put but you failed to answer: did Cumnings visit Barnard Castle?" If every journo had done that, we'd have seen him really squirming.

Do we think Ian from the BBC was silenced deliberately?
Was he the one before the Scotland bloke he tried to go to twice? Seemed to be something going on.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 3 years ago

When you have lost the Bishop of Willesden, you have lost the nation.

That's a common saying, right?

2 x

Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack » 3 years ago

Joan wrote:
3 years ago

The bIshop of Bath and Wells has spoke up
4 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 3 years ago

Our Dominic's not so cocky now is he? Er, um, he was feeling ill, he didn't stop, he just went for a drive to test his eyesight, they just went for a wee in the woods ... then to cap it all the bloody dog only went and ate his homework! Rotten luck, and the horrid press have made things impossible for him.

What a coward he is, with no idea of how what he's saying just makes things worse in the eyes of all those people with small children and no access to mummy and daddy's farm to scarper to when things get difficult. Beyond disgusting.
4 x

Mister Paul

Arrogant. Remorseless.

He thinks he's indispensable. So indispensable that he doesn't have tell a boss if he's going to break the rules like this.
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 3 years ago

Joan wrote:
3 years ago

Wikipedia does suggest that he's a Labour party member. Which is curious as his theological background (protegé of George Carey, low church) is more often associated with the individualism of the Tories.
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 3 years ago

Iris wrote:
3 years ago
Wikipedia does suggest that he's a Labour party member. Which is curious as his theological background (protegé of George Carey, low church) is more often associated with the individualism of the Tories.
I don't share Pete B's theology by a long shot, but he is a breath of fresh air in the current monochrome managerial bench of Bishops. He broke ranks to confirm publicly that Welby's banning of live streaming from churches was imposed against opposition. Even if you don't care much about that, wasn't he rapped severely over the knuckles for saying something undiplomatically forthright about the royal family? A bishop who actualky says what he thinks? Bring it on.
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 3 years ago

Other forthright bishops are available - including the one covering this county. And I seem to remember the Bishop of Willesden's boss not being too happy about Welby's pronouncement.
0 x

JohnToo

Iris wrote:
3 years ago
Other forthright bishops are available - including the one covering this county. And I seem to remember the Bishop of Willesden's boss not being too happy about Welby's pronouncement.
Once you've named Alan Wilson and Pete Broadbent, and possibly Nick Baines, it gets rather hard to think of many more (active) forthright Bishops?
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 3 years ago

How long have Dom and his misses been in London? I cant believe that he has zero support network. Did I hear his wife has family there? Also why didn't the press push him on this issue?

Did I also catch it was his wifes birthday when he drove 30 minutes to a beauty spot (to see if his eyes still worked for driving, my arse)?

How many of us have driven anywhere for over 30 mins since March 23?
1 x

Mister Paul

Greg wrote:
3 years ago
How long have Dom and his misses been in London? I cant believe that he has zero support network. Did I hear his wife has family there? Also why didn't the press push him on this issue?

Did I also catch it was his wifes birthday when he drove 30 minutes to a beauty spot (to see if his eyes still worked for driving, my arse)?

How many of us have driven anywhere for over 30 mins since March 23?
Apparently his family live close. There's also an Islington covid support group which has been doing exactly what Dom said he needed at his parents'.

Yes, it was his wife's birthday. They also stopped in the woods on the way back from the trip so his wife could help the boy wee up a tree. Dom got out of the car and played in the woods with them for a bit. He owned up to it in his speech, but had forgotten about it again by the time the reportera started asking him questions about it.
3 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 3 years ago

Boris is just a puppet, isn't he? if he could stand on his own feet, Cummings would be long gone.
Attachments
16772486-wooden-puppet-sitting-on-wooden-background.jpg
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 3 years ago

We had our first work-related Covid19 death last week. We have only two Covid sites and it was a nurse - with a young family - from one of those sites.
0 x

JohnToo

In the Guardian, John Crace, marina Hyde, Zoe Williams et al are brilliantly savage on a daily basis. But today's Marina Hyde's opening struck me as particularly good:
Perhaps on Sunday you watched the entire nation being lectured on what constitutes fatherly responsibility by Boris Johnson, a man who won’t even say how many children he has, and leaves women to bring up an unspecified number of them. Perhaps on Monday you watched the Guardian’s Rowena Mason being lectured in journalism by Johnson, a man sacked from a newspaper for fabricating quotes from his own godfather, and who blithely discussed helping a friend to have another journalist beaten up. Perhaps today, you heard Michael Gove tell LBC he has “on occasion” driven a car to check his eyesight.

If you did see these things, I can only direct you to the slogan flyposted all over Paris during the 1968 civil unrest. “DO NOT ADJUST YOUR MIND – THERE IS A FAULT WITH REALITY.”
3 x