Administrator
Administrator

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Sonic Budgie wrote:
4 years ago
Got a temporary job as a porter [thumbsup]
Hospital porter? You hero!

I know that's not why you posted that, but still.
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 4 years ago

Yeah, hospital porter. I've been keeping an eye out for the vacancies down here. They had been advertising for care workers but I'm afraid I couldn't do that. Porters, kitchen staff and cleaners came up yesterday, closing yesterday too, got my application in and had a telephone interview about 1/2hr ago.
Could end up cleaning if need be, but it's portering for 3 months at the mo. Got to wait for an email with start dates and stuff and of course they have to do a DBS too. Wonder how long they're taking at the moment?
3 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

It's usually small children who end up in A&E due to pushing small objects up their nostrils, but this is far funnier.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... rus-device
2 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

Proof there is a God...

...and that She has a sick sense of humour:

https://news.sky.com/story/pm-adviser-d ... s-11965644

I'm going to start a hashtag #ClapforCorona. We should all come out at 8.00 p.m. this evening and give a round of applause to thank the virus for it's valiant efforts to deal with Dominic Cummings.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
Proof there is a God...

...and that She has a sick sense of humour:

https://news.sky.com/story/pm-adviser-d ... s-11965644

I'm going to start a hashtag #ClapforCorona. We should all come out at 8.00 p.m. this evening and give a round of applause to thank the virus for it's valiant efforts to deal with Dominic Cummings.
It just reveals the loophole in the deal he signed with Satan.

I wonder if Trump has a similar exposure. Probably not. It was reviewed by Roy Cohn, who is presumably now working in hell's legal department.
1 x

Sonic Budgie

I have an online induction tomorrow and then 9-5 on Wednesday for a bit of manual handling and stuff.
I suspect I may start proper on Thursday as according to one of the letters the "crisis" is such that they're going to do any further checks while I'm in post.
6 x

Sonic Budgie

I'll put this here as I can't remember what's been mentioned elsewhere @Whiskeyjack were you doing a nursing degree?
0 x

Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack » 4 years ago

Sonic Budgie wrote:
4 years ago
I'll put this here as I can't remember what's been mentioned elsewhere @Whiskeyjack were you doing a nursing degree?
Hey, thanks, I don't mind it being mentioned elsewhere so this thread can be preserved

I'm halfway through the course and I was still on placement until yesterday. I was due in today but they have suspected patients on the unit and are waiting for results. They have said not to go in, and I'm to self-isolate, at least until they have the results, and I'm to self isolate until then.

Well done on your volunteering btw, make sure you look after yourself and don't take risks, your safety comes first.

Im fine with this being moved to the appropriate thread.
3 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

@Whiskeyjack done.

Salute to both you and @Sonic Budgie
2 x

Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
@Whiskeyjack done.

Thanks! Although I didn’t do much for praise really. I was in the ICU though which is going to be on the front lines. I have total respect for all the people I worked with there. They are worried but still carrying on doing their best. Every patient I spoke to were full of praise for them.

As an update it looks like I won’t be returning and will have to isolate. Hopefully later I will collect my things and drop off some treats to the rest room.
3 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

I recently spent 8 consecutive days in ICU (not me, my mum) and can confirm that the staff there were absolute angels, all of them.
5 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Whiskeyjack wrote:
4 years ago
Thanks! Although I didn’t do much for praise really. I was in the ICU though which is going to be on the front lines. I have total respect for all the people I worked with there. They are worried but still carrying on doing their best. Every patient I spoke to were full of praise for them.

As an update it looks like I won’t be returning and will have to isolate. Hopefully later I will collect my things and drop off some treats to the rest room.
Putting yourself out there and at risk is the courage, the rest is labour - important labour, of course.

Sorry you may have been exposed to the virus. Plenty of rest, try not to stress and eat your veggies.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Conundrum: Australia has 100th the population density of the UK, yet their social distancing recommended separation is only 1.5 metres.

Come on, stretch out across that wide brown land!
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
@Whiskeyjack done.

Thank you. I will say my intentions aren't purely alturistic though they are partially.

My preferences in order were -

Be entitled to some level of wage from my company and volunteer for the NHS.
Get a temporary NHS job if it looked like I was going to fall through the Gov support cracks.
Get a supermarket job if I couldn't get an NHS one and it looked like I was going to fall through the cracks.

I'm on option 2.

Been a busy day today though, not suggesting I'm now an expert but had to complete the following online training;

H&S level 1
Fire Safety
Safe Guarding Adults Level 2
Safe Guarding Children Level 2
Infection and Prevention Control Level 2
Manual Handling Level 1
Violence Against Women, Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence

Dunno how long they normally take, but I'd be surprised if you would be expected to get through them in a day under normal circumstances.
2 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

Sonic Budgie wrote:
4 years ago
Violence Against Women, Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence
How do they identify whether or not you need this module?
0 x