Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

JohnToo

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

I see that Roger Geffen at CTC is pointing out some interesting statistics. He says 1.6 million people die of air pollution in China each year. The current restrictions there have reduced CO2 by, he suggests, 25%, and he suggests the reduction in air pollution must be similar. By contrast, China looks likely to cap its Covid deaths in the thousands.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

Mr R has been told he should be wearing scrubs now, as he's based in an acute trust...

...but they don'e have any spare sets. So he's having to buy his own.
0 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

Just goes to show how underfunded and supported our nhs really is.
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

But at least he gets to keep them for fancy dress parties.
2 x

JohnToo

News outlets (including my beloved Guardian) are still reporting "deaths rose by the largest single amount yet in one day yesterday " as if that is news. That's not news, that's just the inevitable, unavoidable, new normal for the time being. The news will be if and when, in a week or two, there's a day when the death toll didn't rise. It makes me worried that people still haven't assimilated how infectious spread works.
2 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

FB_IMG_1585397554336.jpg
Our neighbour's 2 sons made us a picture for our front window.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Ugh. CV19 spam

Subject: Check Fever temperatures before you let people into your home or place of business
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
4 years ago
News outlets (including my beloved Guardian) are still reporting "deaths rose by the largest single amount yet in one day yesterday " as if that is news. That's not news, that's just the inevitable, unavoidable, new normal for the time being. The news will be if and when, in a week or two, there's a day when the death toll didn't rise. It makes me worried that people still haven't assimilated how infectious spread works.
I wrote a note to the Readers' Editor on the subject last weekend. Somebody must have seen it because there was one glorious post in the middle of Sunday when every number was accompanied by a percentage rise. Since then, nothing.

https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

is a good site to bookmark.
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

Henry Marsh in the FT (free to read)

https://www.ft.com/content/00312c48-6e8 ... pe=nongift
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

I'm at work at the moment. Things kicked off late last night and I got a call this morning.

I expect things to change rather rapidly behind the scenes over the weekend... and more publicly on Monday / Tuesday.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

boots.com

Screenshot_20200329-092106.png
Attachments
Screenshot_20200329-110425.png
0 x

JohnToo

What are we thinking about online orders for non-essential items? Helping keep the economy moving and keeping people in work and preserving a semblance of normal life, or forcing more people to be exposed and placing more demands on the health service to suit our selfish convenience?

(edit - Joan - I am in no way suggesting that your Boots posting was non-essential - I was thinking of a couple of orders we've placed for gardening things...)
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

My Boots waiting is non-essential: I just wanted to check the ingredients of something I have in my cupboard and was shocked to see that. I closed the tab, but just found out I still have my place in the queue. It's over a 2 hour wait! Poor anyone stuck at home needing something.

I don't know if you should order something. I was going to say "put a comment saying it's not urgent, that you will buy from them later if they cancel the order" but the delivery person won't get the option to not do it.

No, I think you should do it. But order from someone that only sells non-essentials if you can; they have made the decision to stay open, so you can support them. Eg order from a gardening supplier, who could shut, rather than a hardware store, which I think are almost obliged to keep trading.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

One of my podcasts is crying. Don't cry, Cody!
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 4 years ago

Got a temporary job as a porter [thumbsup]
4 x