Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Joan » 3 years ago

I spoke to a 95 year old with diabetes living in Hounslow (905 cases per 100,000). She's been told that she will get her first dose in March.
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 3 years ago

By the Law of Sod, the only person I know to have had the vaccine so far is my ex-wife :)

These lockdowns are much like the the Jurassic Park films, in that the first was a bit scary, the second a bit meh and now the third......... AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHH.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I'm a vaccine marshall! 👮‍♂️
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
Attachments
IMG_20210107_155409895.jpg
3 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 3 years ago

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
Joan, hadn't you posted something in here about getting a vaccination?
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Sonic Budgie wrote:
3 years ago
Joan, hadn't you posted something in here about getting a vaccination?
I did, and then I felt uncomfortable, so I deleted it.

But yes, I have had my first dose. They vaccinated all the volunteers they could. I know some missed out, including the guy I worked with on Thursday, who went home to a bottle of single malt to celebrate his birthday alone, after working 2 hours out in the cold. I went for my second shift yesterday, and there were no patients left, so all I did was get vaccinated, sit around for 15 minutes (in case of anaphylaxis) and head home again. I didn't even have to stack chairs.
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
I did, and then I felt uncomfortable, so I deleted it.

But yes, I have had my first dose. They vaccinated all the volunteers they could. I know some missed out, including the guy I worked with on Thursday, who went home to a bottle of single malt to celebrate his birthday alone, after working 2 hours out in the cold. I went for my second shift yesterday, and there were no patients left, so all I did was get vaccinated, sit around for 15 minutes (in case of anaphylaxis) and head home again. I didn't even have to stack chairs.
Oops, sorry. I'll delete if you like?

I had mine last week, arm hurt like hell the following day, how was yours?
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Sonic Budgie wrote:
3 years ago
Oops, sorry. I'll delete if you like?

I had mine last week, arm hurt like hell the following day, how was yours?
No, don't delete it. I was just a little uncomfortable because I jumped ahead of the queue. But I am also pleased as punch.

It hurt like a son-of-a-bitch this morning. Woke up yelping when I rolled onto it. It's OK now, just a bit of warmth when I touch it.

With a more than one thousand people dying every day, it feels churlish to complain that my arm is a bit sore.
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
No, don't delete it. I was just a little uncomfortable because I jumped ahead of the queue. But I am also pleased as punch.

It hurt like a son-of-a-bitch this morning. Woke up yelping when I rolled onto it. It's OK now, just a bit of warmth when I touch it.

With a more than one thousand people dying every day, it feels churlish to complain that my arm is a bit sore.
Of course it's curlish and inconsequential in the grand scheme.

I'm not sure what the situation is going to be with the second one though, still, at least Johnson senior is going to get his, so I can take comfort in that.

I wouldn't feel guilty, I don't know what the situation is in your area, but I know one of the centres serving our area has been going around trying to find people to have the jab towards the end of the shift due to missed appointments.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I don't think they had many no-shows, though I am not sure. They were very keen to give all the volunteers jabs if they could. I did two shifts and got it on the second. I think anyone who worked the late shift with me on thursday and didn't come back on Friday missed out, including the young man who took a day off work, stood outside for 2 hours cheering up the oldies the went home to open a single malt to drink in the bath because it was his birthday.

I believe they used treated everyone on their list, but the 95 year old above lives a bare 3km from the practice, and I would have happily given my dose to her, if I could.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Antibody test and vaccine

I've been randomly selected by Ipsos to get a lateral flow antibody test. I had been really curious to know if I have had the virus (though I have had no particular symptoms), but now I have had the first dose of the vaccine, does that mean that I can no longer find out if I had it before? That (as I assume) a positive test may just indicate the vaccine is working?

I mean, *yay* that the vaccine is working, but I would have liked to have known if I had a silent case of coronavirus.

(yeah, lateral flow tests aren't the most reliable, I know)
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
https://www.swlondoner.co.uk/news/15012 ... irst-week/
5 x

JohnToo