Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

LowlifeDes

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by LowlifeDes » 3 years ago

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
In contrast with the lackadaisical response to Leicester, Australia is responding to 106 cases with locking down entire suburbs and - though this worries me a lot - putting 9 "council" tower blocks on hard lockdown.

I'm impressed with level of response, but I am not sure telling hundreds of people they can't step out the front door of their tiny flat into the lift lobby is in the public interest. I wonder how many non-covid fatalities will result. 😔
And, from what you say, isolating that group because it is not hard to.
2 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 3 years ago

We visited a pub last night for the first time in months. We popped in after taking Jack for a walk. The pub had a one way system with a shielded bar and all the seating was outside. Not many people there.
9A695D6D-3139-4E14-9182-49A47B4EDABF.jpeg
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 3 years ago

No wonder there's no one there. Your beer is going to pour onto the grass at that angle!
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 3 years ago

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
No wonder there's no one there. Your beer is going to pour onto the grass at that angle!
I'm not quite sure why photo has spun round....
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Melbourne is on lockdown again. Same as we had, you stay in your house except for shopping, exercise etc.
The tower blocks on lockdown aren't able to open their front door. There are two police offices patrolling each floor. Dystopian nightmare. 😢
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 3 years ago

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
Melbourne is on lockdown again. Same as we had, you stay in your house except for shopping, exercise etc.
The tower blocks on lockdown aren't able to open their front door. There are two police offices patrolling each floor. Dystopian nightmare. 😢
What do people in the tower blocks do for food if, like one or two of my friends, they don't routinely keep a good 'store cupboard'?
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Rutabaga wrote:
3 years ago
What do people in the tower blocks do for food if, like one or two of my friends, they don't routinely keep a good 'store cupboard'?
As you might expect, the Government is providing it, poorly.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... inadequate

The people who don't live in the tower blocks get several days notice of lockdown, those in the towers it was immediate. Oh,, and not every tower has known coronavirus cases.

It's bad. Maybe they don't have any alternative, but it shouldn't have come to this.
0 x

Rutabaga

This is an awful read. The situation for these social housing tower-dwellers looks absolutely dire, in terms of food distribution and communication at the very least.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... -residents
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I've been talking to my friends, who all live in detached houses, and have had plenty of warning: they are feeling the stress and fear. I can't imagine how much worse it is for those in the towers.
One of them said she hoped that the tower dwellers would feel solidarity now the city is in lockdown, but everyone else is allowed to go shopping, exercise etc, can step out their front door and had plenty of warning to stock up. I don't think that will be of comfort to those being policed like a prison.
Apparently the Nth Melbourne police have recently had to be damages or compensation to the residents of several towers for racial profiling. These are the same police who will be doing some of the enforcement.
0 x

Rutabaga

At least prisoners get food and drink, and time outside for exercise :-(
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

One of my friends works in a supermarket. Apparently it got so crazy, they had to lock the doors for a while.

I don't know if that happened here, but I haven't heard of it.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

This came in my Facebook feed.

It's not really politics, more a barometer.

We are in the middle of a hurricane, right?
Attachments
107701151_2052838431526631_5764866871005436502_n.jpg
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 3 years ago

A 75 year old lady along our road has been summoned for jury service. What do we think? Safe? Advisable?
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 3 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
3 years ago
A 75 year old lady along our road has been summoned for jury service. What do we think? Safe? Advisable?
The courts halted all jury trials some time ago. They started hearing things that don't require lots of people again, like production orders, plea hearings, etc. If jury trials are starting again, they must have found ways to seperate people.
Having said that, if I were 75, I would write back and suggest that someone younger could do it. Tom Hardwood springs to mind.
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 3 years ago

Well, I'm back.
About 3 weeks ago I had a call asking if I would be interested in being on the team if the field hospital were to go live, 3 month contract to start, shift work. The plan, which I may have mentioned before, is to use the facility for rehab rather than Covid as the hospitals are starting to creak a little under the strain of catching up with 3 months worth of minor surgery. Anyway, I said yep.
However, a fortnight ago Thursday just gone I had a call at 16:15 from a rather frantic supervisor;

"We need you in tomorrow, and Saturday!"

So, with a bit of juggling around and calling in a few favours I got up there and have been working days since. When I was up there previously it had been me and a.n.other. They'd get a bod up there from the hospital, I'd train them, then I'd get another the following week and so on. However, as things changed towards the end of my time there, there were only 3 of us that knew all of the ropes, and one of the ones that was there when I finished had been sacked on the Thursday, so off we go again.
The place is pretty much mothballed at the moment, but of course it still needs maintaining. Most of this week however has been spent socially distancing everything, so we'll be down to 70 some beds if they do decide to use it. My suspicion is that they will, as I said the hospitals are starting to struggle a bit and it's likely political that it's not already in use, as to use it would be an admission of failure on the part of the head honchos, also they are closing a lot of the field hospitals entirely as the councils want them back, whereas this one is, I think, contracted for use until next March. We'll find out eventually, I suspect someone, somewhere knows, but they do like to keep things under their hats.
4 x